LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Balanced game.

Whereas the first two games on this test are fairly reasonable, this game is considerably harder. This occurs because the Advanced Linear element is paired with a subdivided selection pool (introductory and advanced). The initial scenario appears as follows:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd1.png

The first constraint in the game is stated at the end of the game scenario, and stipulates that no textbook is evaluated by both reviewers during the same week:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd2.png

In the above diagram, “T” stands for textbook, indicating that the same textbook cannot be evaluated by both evaluators during the same week.

The first rule establishes that R cannot evaluate an introductory textbook until J has evaluated that textbook. This should be shown as a sequence, with subscripts for “introductory”:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd3.png

The A and I subscripts are the easiest way to keep track of the advanced and introductory textbooks since there are already two stacks for Rosenberg and Juarez.

Of course, under this rule, R cannot evaluate an introductory textbook during week 1, and J cannot evaluate an introductory textbook during week 6. Thus, because each textbook is either introductory or advanced, we can infer that R evaluates an advanced textbook during week 1, and J evaluates an advanced textbook during week 6:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd4.png

The second rule is also sequential, and can be diagrammed as follows:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd5.png

This rule is really the reverse of the first rule. Under this condition, J cannot evaluate an advanced book during week 1, and R cannot evaluate an advanced book during week 6. Thus, J must evaluate an introductory book during week 1, and R must evaluate an introductory book during week 6:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd6.png

The third rule indicates that R cannot evaluate any two introductory textbooks consecutively:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd7.png

This initiates the Separation Principle, and thus for R, the advanced textbooks must separate the introductory textbooks. Because R cannot evaluate any two introductory books consecutively, and because J must evaluate any introductory book before R evaluates it, R must evaluate the introductory textbooks second, fourth, and sixth. Correspondingly, R must evaluate the advanced textbooks first, third, and fifth. Thus, R’s sequence of evaluating textbooks must be A-I-A-I-A-I:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd8.png

The final rule states that J must evaluate X during week 4, which can be shown directly on the diagram. In addition, because X is an advanced textbook, and from the second rule J cannot evaluate an advanced textbook until R has evaluated it, R must evaluate X first or third, and cannot evaluate X fifth (again, R’s even-numbered book evaluations must be introductory books, so X could not be second, fourth, or sixth). Accounting for this information results in the following diagram:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd9.png

Note that, due to the second rule, whatever advanced textbook R evaluates in week 5 will be the advanced textbook J evaluates in week 6. This relationship is also true in the reverse: whatever advanced textbook J evaluates in week 6 will be the advanced textbook R evaluates in week 5 (otherwise, the textbook reviewed by R in week 5 would have to be reviewed by J in an earlier week, a violation of the second rule). As this relationship goes both ways, so it will be shown with a double arrow.

Similarly, due to the first rule, whatever introductory textbook R evaluates in week 2 will be the introductory textbook J evaluates in week 1. This relationship also reverses, and so it will also be shown with a double arrow.

These relationships can be shown on the main diagram with arrows, leading to the final diagram:

PT24-Dec 1997 LGE-G3-srd10.png

While R has a fairly limited number of ordering options, J still has a number of options for ordering the introductory and advanced textbooks. For example, J could evaluate the advanced textbooks 2-4-6, 3-4-6, or 4-5-6. However, as each textbook is placed, the interrelationship of the rules and variable sets will quickly limit the number of remaining options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 rbanowsky
|
Howdy,

I feel like I am making this game harder than it really is. I had trouble with the first two rules and the subsequent implications. If you could help me out with an efficient way to diagram or represent the first two rules I think it might help me process this game much faster.

Thanks,
Robert
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Robert,

This game is definitely made more challenging by the first two rules. I assume you stacked up two variable sets to keep track of the order in which each book is reviewed by by reviewer. The first question also helps you determine the best way to set it up:

FGH (intro)
XYZ (adv)

J: _ _ _ X _ _
R: _ _ _ _ _ _

The trick is to focus on which books in each of the two sequences--J and R--must be intro, and which ones must be advanced. Forget for a moment the actual variables. The first two rules are challenging to diagram, so try to internalize their implications:
  • 1) Each intro. book must be evaluated by J before it is evaluated by R, so:
Intro :arrow: J > R

The immediate implication of this rule is that R cannot evaluate an intro. book first, so R must evaluate an advanced book first.
  • 2) Each advanced book must be evaluated by R before it is evaluated by J, so:
Advanced :arrow: R > J

The immediate implication of this rule is that J cannot evaluate an advanced book first, so J must evaluate an intro book first. Also, since X is an advanced book, and it is the 4th book J evaluates, it must be one of the first three books evaluated by R. But remember how they said R cannot evaluate any two intro books in a row? Well, if X were the second book R evaluates, that simply wouldn't work because the first book evaluated by R cannot be intro. So, R must evaluate X either 1st or 3rd.

Use that info to make two templates and you'll realize that R must evaluate advanced books at 1, 3, and 5; and intro books at 2, 4, 6. When it comes to J, the order is not as easily determined; nevertheless, J's first book must be intro, and the last must be advanced (Z/Y).

I'm not giving you the full set-up, but hopefully this is enough to get you started. Let me know.

Thanks!
 rbanowsky
|
thanks Nikki, i'm not sure why I was struggling with those rules but your explanation made it much more clear.
 srozek
|
Hello there, I'm having a hard time setting up this game effectively.
It's the December 1997 Game 3, the one with two editors evaluating either advanced or intro books.

Can someone please help!

Thanks
Sarah
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

This is an interesting game. Despite a relatively traditional Advanced Linear setup, the game is actually quite hard. As is often the case in a standard-looking game that turns out to be difficult, it's the rules that cause the problems, specifically the first two rules that link the repeating variable sets in each row.

The third rule creates an alternating A-I-A-I-A-I sequence in Rosenberg's row, but even that leaves open a lot of possibilities.

Explaining the setup to this game takes about three and a half pages with some involved diagrams, and that is beyond the scope of this forum. So, instead, can you start by letting us know what you did to set this game up? That way we can see where you might have missed some inferences. In particular, let us know what inferences you made about Juarez' row.

Thanks!
 srozek
|
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response.

I did get the part about Rosenberg's row of A-I-A-I... etc.
I also got that Jaurez must start with I and end with A, and with J evaluating X in 4, R must evaluate X either in 1 or 3, that leaves either Y/Z in 5 for R, so whichever one it is in 5 for R, will be the last A for Juarez, since R has to review I's before J does.
But as far as the sequence of what J has to review first, I figured, he can do III, then AAA, or alternate as long as he does A after J reviews them.
The way I set it up was two rows for each of them, one where I can place the variables, and one to indicate whether it is A/I. It did get confusing after a while with that set up, and I was having a hard time keeping track of everything.

That's all the inferences I got, then moved to the questions

Thanks for the help, I do feel a lot better that it's a harder game, not one that was easy and I missed!

Sarah
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

It sounds like you had a pretty good grasp on this game. I still think it's tough to handle regardless. It's one of those underrated tough games that people don't talk about, but that everyone struggles with. you won't see many like this one, fortunately.

Thanks!
 Echx73
|
Hey Team,

Above you wrote a huge explanation on how to set-up the first two rules. My only question: I understand J's first book must be introductory, but how do we know the last book evaluated by J is also introductory? (I know R says there cannot be any I-I, but there are no rules likes this governing J"

""Use that info to make two templates and you'll realize that R must evaluate advanced books at 1, 3, and 5; and intro books at 2, 4, 6. When it comes to J, the order is not as easily determined; nevertheless, J's first book must be intro, and the last must be advanced (Z/Y).""

Thank you!
Eric
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi eric,

Thanks for your post.

It seems like you may have just misread that bit from an earlier post that you quoted. J's last book must actually be advanced, not introductory (you asked why his last book must be introductory as well).

Does that clear up the issue?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.