LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11091)

The correct answer choice is (A)

The condition in the question stem creates a KJL block. Under this arrangement, if J is scheduled second, the following scenario results:
December 97_game#2_M12_L3_explanations_game#4_10_diagram_1.png
In this scenario, there is no room for P, and thus the hypothetical fails. Therefore, J cannot be scheduled second.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 charlotte h
|
Hi there,

For a question like this, is the only approach to do hypothetical situations for each answer choice and which one works? Or is there a more efficient way to go about this question?

Thank you!
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
There could be a couple other ways to attack this other than to just test every answer, Charlotte. One way would be to use any prior solutions that you have done, either in the original setup or in answering other questions. For example, looking at the correct answer to the first question, could you have swapped the M and the L to create that KJL block? No, because that would break the rule about what happens when L is third. So using that, you could see that a KJL block cannot put J second, and you would have your answer. Or, using the local diagram from question 7 you could have gotten the same information.

Another is to do a little prephrasing and ask yourself "where might a KJL block cause a problem?" At that point you might think about the rule about L going third, since there were no other rules about where any of those other variables can or cannot go. Proactively thinking about what rules should be impacted in a question like this can save a lot of time and effort, especially when the correct answer is D or E instead of A.

But short of that, yes, testing the answer choices is the way to go as a last resort, and in this case at least you will be done quickly, thank goodness!
 charlotte h
|
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for your help Adam!
 deseraymatteson@gmail.com
|
Good morning,

General Question - are the explanations available online in the Testing and Analytics platform or the On Demand Student Center? If so, please let me know and skip the next questions.

#10) I am missing the reason that Jaime CANNOT be scheduled fifth:

New rule expands the existing KJ block (Rule 1) to KJL so if J is 5th
_ _ _ K J L _

Because J is 5th, P must be 2nd (Rule 4)
_ P _ K J L _

Because P is 2nd, M must be 1st (Rule 2)
M P _ K J L _

L is not 3rd and N is not 5th (Rule 3)

I'm sure it's something glaring at me, but I've looked it this multiple times and I'm not seeing it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Deseray
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
deseraymatteson@gmail.com wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:31 am Good morning,

General Question - are the explanations available online in the Testing and Analytics platform or the On Demand Student Center? If so, please let me know and skip the next questions.

#10) I am missing the reason that Jaime CANNOT be scheduled fifth:

New rule expands the existing KJ block (Rule 1) to KJL so if J is 5th
_ _ _ K J L _

Because J is 5th, P must be 2nd (Rule 4)
_ P _ K J L _

Because P is 2nd, M must be 1st (Rule 2)
M P _ K J L _

L is not 3rd and N is not 5th (Rule 3)

I'm sure it's something glaring at me, but I've looked it this multiple times and I'm not seeing it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Deseray
Hi Deseray,

Explanations are available on this forum, and we have a specific sorting system to make it easier for students to find what they're looking for. :-D The forum is sorted by Section Type (LG, LR, RC) -> Test # -> Section (LG Game, LR Section, or RC Passage) -> Question #.

Regarding your question on #10: I have moved it to the appropriate place, so please review the explanation here and the setup here, and let us know if this helps!

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.