LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=2316)

The correct answer choice is (B)

According to the condition in the question stem, N and L speak the same language. The correct answer is three, which can be achieved either of two ways:
  • 1. ..... Under the 3-1-1-1 distribution, all three tourists assigned to Y speak Turkish.

Since L speaks Spanish or Russian, N must speak Spanish or Russian, and it follows that N must be assigned to X or Z. Since the question asks you to maximize the number of Turkish speakers, and Y speaks Turkish, we want to satisfy all conditions while at the same time maximizing Y. Thus, N should be assigned to X (where N will speak Spanish, the same as L), and then K or M can be assigned to V, thereby satisfying the “one tourist to each guide minimum.” Thus, we can achieve a 3-1-1-1 distribution with Y being assigned three tourists. Answer choice (B) is therefore correct.

2. ..... Under the 2-2-1-1 distribution, the two tourists assigned to Y speak Turkish, and the one tourist assigned to X ..... ..... speaks Turkish.

If L and N are both assigned to Z, they can both speak Spanish or Russian. H and I are already assigned to Y, and they can speak Turkish. K and M are then be assigned to V and X, one to each, and the one assigned to X can speak Turkish. Thus, three tourists speak Turkish, and answer choice (B) is therefore correct.
 spsa1000
|
Hi there. Just wondering why the answer can't be 4. E.g., N and K is assigned to X, M to V and both N and K speak Turkish?
 Paul Marsh
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey spsa! Remember what our "new rule" is for this Local question - L and N speak the same language. Since L is assigned to Z and Z only speaks Spanish or Russian, we know that L must therefore speak either Spanish or Russian. Per our new rule, that means N must speak either Spanish or Russian too. So the problem with your setup is that N can't speak Turkish! She must speak Spanish or Russian. So while it is possible for her to be assigned to X, she would have to speak Spanish in that case.

Hope that helps!
 VamosRafa19
|
Hi I interpreted this question as who all could speak Turkish, so I picked four since in one scenario H and I speak Spanish, and one of K/M will also speak Turkish. I realize now it means for a single set up, how many can speak Turkish, not out of all possible scenarios how many tourists could speak Turkish. Is there anything in the language that could help tell those kinds of questions apart?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Vamos,

I think if it had been asking what you interpreted it as instead, it would say something like "How many tourists are there, anyone of whom could speak Turkish?"

The question's asking about the "maximum" number makes it seem like the identities are variable, and we want to see the largest number among the different combinations possible. The interpretation in my first paragraph is always going to be the same people and thus the same number, so "maximum" doesn't really make sense.

Robert Carroll
 VamosRafa19
|
Thanks, Robert!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.