LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=2316)

The correct answer choice is (E)

The condition in the question stem sets up a 2-2-1-1 distribution:
J98_Game_#2_#11_diagram 1.png
As always, K, M, and N remain to be assigned, one of which will be assigned to V (and thus speak French) and the other two will be assigned to X (and speak Turkish or Spanish). As such, only answer choice (E) could be true, and is therefore correct.
 raiyanhossain
|
Why can't it be D?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
In order for both K and M to speak Spanish, raiyanhossain, we would have to assign both of them to X (because V speaks only French). But we have a rule that if K is assigned to X, M must speak French, and thus could not be assigned to X, who speaks only Spanish and Turkish. With two people being assigned to X (per the local restriction in this question), that pair must be either K and N or else M and N. N, therefore, must be assigned to X and must speak Turkish or Spanish (which quickly eliminates answer A, B, and C). Answer E fits the assignments because it would mean K is assigned to X and M is assigned to V, who speaks French.
 apallas
|
Hello!

I am having trouble understanding why answer choice C (Norma speaks French and Klaus speaks Turkish.) is not correct.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
apallas wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:50 pm Hello!

I am having trouble understanding why answer choice C (Norma speaks French and Klaus speaks Turkish.) is not correct.
Hi apallas!

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the forum!

I have moved your post to the thread discussing this question. Please review the explanations on this thread—particularly Adam's comment, as it mentions why A, B, and C are incorrect—and let us know if that helps, or if you still have further questions!

As a side note, we have a specific sorting system on the forum to make it easier for students to find what they're looking for. :-D The forum is sorted by Section Type (LG, LR, RC) -> Test # -> Section (LG Game, LR Section, or RC Passage) -> Question #. Also, there's a section in your course Online Student Center that will link to a document with the homework game explanations. Let me know if you need assistance finding that! :)

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.