LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

The correct answer choice is (E).

Answer choice (A):

Answer choice (B):

Answer choice (C):

Answer choice (D):

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 huhjunn
|
I also don't understand how to answer Question #12.

"Each of the following could be an accurate, partial list of the kinds of trees in the park EXCEPT:

(A) oaks, spruces
(B) oaks, yews
(C) firs, laurels, oaks
(D) firs, maples, oaks
(E) laurels, maples, oaks

So I know that the correct answer Cannot Be True, and all the other incorrect answer could be true.

But when I compare the possible answers with the rules I get more than one right answer.

For example, when looking at (A) it cannot be true because according to rule #4 if Not L or Not O then F and S. In (A) there is no L which means that there must be an F and S. So how come it is not the correct answer? I run into this kind of problem with the other possibilities as well.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the reply! Be careful! It's only a partial list, not a complete list! So what we're looking for is a violation in the trees listed, and we don't care about what is NOT listed. So for A not to be the complete list is totally fine. E, on the other hand, has a violation in what is provided: if M is in, the Y is out, which means you cannot have both of L and O. M, L, and O, therefore, is impossible, so E cannot occur.

Thanks!
 huhjunn
|
Hi Jon,

Thanks again for clearing things up, this forum and its moderators are an invaluable resource!

Please correct me if my understanding of the difference between partial and complete lists is wrong:

So "complete and accurate lists" are asking you to look at the listed answer choices in the context of the entire game (all variables and rules), whereas "partial and accurate lists" only ask you to compare what is listed within the answer choices?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Not exactly. A complete and accurate list (for instance, "a complete and accurate list of people who could perform first") requires you to consider the answers to make sure all possible options are listed (complete), and none that are listed are impossible (accurate). A partial list question like we examined here still must be accurate in that the variables listed can't violate any rules, but it doesn't have to be complete. Some additional variables that are possible can be missing and the answer could still be acceptable.

But in both cases the context of the entire game, like the rules and inferences, would still apply. It's just a matter of how complete the options listed in the answer choice need to be.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.