LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This explanation is still in progress. Please post any questions below!
 netherlands
|
Hi there PS,

Would you mind explaining the third rule in this game.

" If yews are not in the park, then either laurels or oaks, but not both, are in the park."

I understood it as

Lack of Y :arrow: L or O

Contrapositive: Lack of L and O :arrow: Y

But, I think it turned out as the contrapositive should have been L and O together :arrow: Y ?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Netherlands,

You ask an interesting question. The tricky part of this rule is that it is really two rules in one--one is the "either/or" part, and the other is the "but not both" part. I'll reword both parts:
  • 1. "If yews are not in the park, then either laurels or oaks are in the park."

and

2. "If yews are not in the park, then not both of the laurels or oak are in the park."
Those two rules individually look like this:
  • 1. Y :arrow: L or O

CP: L and O :arrow: Y

2. Y :arrow: L or O

CP: L and O :arrow: Y

You had the first part above shown correctly, but it was the second part that got you.

By the way, if you combine these two parts into one, what you get is:
  • Y :arrow: exactly 1 of L and O

CP: not exactly one of L and O (meaning neither or both) :arrow: Y
So, you were halfway there. Next time just keep an eye out for the "but not both" part and you'll be good :-D

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 netherlands
|
hi there,

I guess the smart thing for me to do when i see these types of rules would be to attack it literally one piece at a time then.

Lack of Y :arrow: L or O ---- Lack of L and O :arrow: Y

Lack of Y :arrow: Lack of L or Lack of O ----- L and O :arrow: Y

Which is how we get the two main rules:

Lack of L and O :arrow: Y

L and O :arrow: Y
 cornhusker37
|
Hi,

I have a question concerning double arrows and contrapositives. I am wondering if there could be a contrapositive for a negative double arrow? Specifically, I am referring to the February 1999 LSAT logic game #2 on the types of trees in a park. I have read several forums and sites on approaching this problem, but I have hit a brick wall when trying to apply the Powerscore method.

Here is what I have tried, and would appreciate any advice or suggestions:

1. /y :arrow: Either L or O, but not both.
2. This has two separate statements, "Either L or O" and "not both"
3. Therefore, the two options symbolically are /y :arrow: (/L :dblline: /O) and /y :arrow: (L :dblline: O), right?
4. Assuming step 4 is true, the three possibilities for the rule in step 1 to be true would be:
a) /y :arrow: L and /O
b) /y :arrow: /L and O
c) /y :arrow: /L and /O
5. How would you take the contrapositive of the above? The superprep says that the contrapositive of the rule in step 1 would be "Both L and O" :arrow: y . This perplexes me and I would like to understand how to reach such a contrapositive.

For the fourth rule, I understand it as follows:

1. /L and /O :arrow: F and S (does this capture the first part right about not containing both laurels and oaks?)

Again, what would the contrapositive be? How would it be reached?

I am less concerned with using the rule to directly answer any of the questions than I am with ensuring that I am using the Powerscore rules to create the proper diagram. Please let me know where I am messing up or what I am doing wrong. Thanks!
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey cornhusker,

Thanks for the questions! This game is notoriously tricky, and the contrapositives in particular seem to give people trouble, so let me see if I can break these down for you and show you the proper way to approach it.

For the third rule, you are correct in recognizing that it essentially produces two separate ideas:

..... (1) Not Y, then either L or O: Y :arrow: L or O

..... (2) Not Y, then NOT L or NOT O: Y :arrow: L or O (this is
..... the same as saying they cannot both be in the park)

Your double-not arrow diagrams are technically correct as well, although I think in this case probably unnecessary. To me they make it more confusing than simply showing the two diagrams as I've done above.

Note: double-not arrows are really effective at showing single relationships, like two variables that cannot both be selected (A :dblline: B), or two variables that cannot both be absent (Not A :dblline: Not B). But using them as part of a larger diagram with multiple sufficient or necessary conditions is likely to be more trouble than it's worth.

This is where you ran into trouble. If Y is not in the park, only two possibilities exist:

..... (1) L is in the park, and O is not

..... (2) O is in the park, and L is not

Your point 4.c) below indicates the possibility that neither L nor O is in the park when Y is absent, and this is a violation of the rule: "either L or O...are in the park." They cannot BOTH be there, but one of them must be if Y is not!

With that in mind, let's consider the contrapositives of both statements I gave showing the two separate ideas in rule #3:

..... (1) Y :arrow: L or O ; contrapositive: L and O :arrow: Y

..... (2) Y :arrow: L or O ; contrapositive: L and O :arrow: Y

Essentially (1) tells us that if both L and O are missing, Y must be in the park (Y's absence would force one of L or O in). And (2) tells us that if both L and O are in the park, Y must be as well (Y's absence would mean they cannot both be there).

And that's it! In summation, here are the possible scenarios for Y, L, and O:

..... (1) Y out, so L is in and O is out

..... (2) Y out, so O is in and L is out

..... (3) L and O both in, so Y is in (guaranteed if L and O are known to be in)

..... (4) L and O both out, so Y is in (again, known if L and O are both out)

..... (5) Y in, and then L and O are totally free to be in or out

I should point out that I wouldn't go to anywhere near this degree of analysis on test day—just show rules and, if needed, contrapositives—but hopefully it gives you a better sense of exactly what that rule itself tells us.

For your next question concerning rule #4 (a trickier rule, in my opinion), we once again have a two-part statement: if either L or O is not in the park, then F and S are both in. The "not L" or "not O" sufficient conditions would allow us to represent this with two diagrams:

..... (1) L :arrow: F and S ; contra: F or S :arrow: L

..... (2) O :arrow: F and S ; contra: F or S :arrow: O

Do you see how these would also cover the condition where both L and O are not in? In that case it would still be clear that F and S were in the park. Just remember that multiple conditions with "or" or with "and" require that you change between the two as you take contrapositives. So "or" becomes "and" and the terms get negated, and vice versa.

Two things in conclusion. First, the two diagrams with F and S above capture the fourth rule well, but it is also possible, if you choose, to combine them into a single diagram with a single contrapositive:

..... L or O :arrow: F and S ;
..... contra: F or S :arrow: L and O

Just keep in mind that the "or" here means "if either type is gone," and not that "they must both be gone."

Secondly, the third and fourth rules can be connected to make further inferences, based on the shared variables L and O. For instance, consider what we could deduce if the park does not contain Y:

..... Y :arrow: L or O :arrow: F and S

And from the second rule:

..... F :arrow: P , so Y :arrow: P

Meaning, from the contrapositive of that:

..... P :arrow: Y

And so on! Tricky game, but a fantastic exercise for practicing with diagramming multiple-condition statements and their contrapositives, as well as for making inferences with them.

Give it another look and let me know if this helps!

Jon
 cornhusker37
|
Thank you so much Jon! You have no idea how helpful this is and I really do feel like I understand this now. I can tell you put a lot of time in your response, and I truly appreciate that!
 huhjunn
|
For the fourth rule, how come you did not diagram : L or O ----> F and S ?

Also, in the powerscore logic games bible I do not think the strategies touch upon these types of grouping rules where one variable or another (but not both) appear. When I practiced this LSAT game, I did not see anything in the powerscore bible about creating these kinds of rules : Not Y :arrow: Not L or Not O
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey huhjunn,

Thanks for the follow up, and welcome to the Forum!

To start, here's what I typed originally about rule 4 (slashes removed for clarity):

"For your next question concerning rule #4 (a trickier rule, in my opinion), we once again have a two-part statement: if either L or O is not in the park, then F and S are both in. The "not L" or "not O" sufficient conditions would allow us to represent this with two diagrams:

..... (1) Not L :arrow: F and S ; contra: Not F or Not S :arrow: L

..... (2) Not O :arrow: F and S ; contra: Not F or Not S :arrow: O

Do you see how these would also cover the condition where both L and O are not in? In that case it would still be clear that F and S were in the park. Just remember that multiple conditions with "or" or with "and" require that you change between the two as you take contrapositives. So "or" becomes "and" and the terms get negated, and vice versa."

Now, you ask why I didn't represent it as positive L or positive O indicating F and S. I wonder if perhaps that's a typo, where you meant to have L and O both negated...? I have to assume so, since the rule says "not in the park," and, assuming so, you could have represented it that way for sure! I was simply trying to show that the sufficient conditions here were independent of one another, allowing for two diagrams (something I think actually makes it a little clearer, at least from a learning standpoint). Combining them is fine, however :)

I'm not entirely clear on your point/question about the Games Bible, as it covers quite literally every type of grouping rule and rule/inference combination imaginable, including things like multiple sufficients, multiple necessaries, significance and contrapositives of "and" and "or," and every other iteration that could appear. For instance, there is an entire section devoted to conditional reasoning rules where we discuss what Not Y :arrow: Not L or Not O would mean, and how to find the contrapositive (L and O :arrow: Y) and what it means.

I hope that helps!

Jon
 huhjunn
|
Hi Jon, thank you for your response.

The reason why I was wondering why you did not diagram rule #4 as L or O ----> F and S (no typo) is because, in my inexperienced mind, I thought this was an accurate depiction of the rule since the selection of either L or O would result in the mandatory appearance of F and S.

However, upon further thought I came to the realization that my diagram (L or O ----> F and S) actually means "Either L or O, or both" which is incorrect because it goes against the stated rule. Your diagram of (Not L or Not O ----> F and S) is actually correct because it means "Either L or O appears, or neither" which fulfills rule #4.

Are the observations in the above paragraph correct?

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.