LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Garrettgregor
|
Can someone explain the 3≥R≥1 in the setup please?
 momgoingbacktoschool
|
Garrettgregor wrote:
Can someone explain the 3≥R≥1 in the setup please?
I have the same question! I understand everything else about the set up but have no clue where "3≥R≥1 " is coming from. Thanks.
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Garrett and Mom!

The 3≥R≥1 just refers to the restriction in the scenario that each researcher (R) must "learn at least one but no more than three" languages.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
 feifei
|
Hello,

I have a question about the analysis on the bottom of p374. “Since G must learn at least one language, G(in the form of GH block) must learn either Swahili or Tigrinya or both. From this inference it follows that neither L nor P can learn both Swahili and Tigrinya”

I understand the bold font part, however, how come neither L nor P can learn S and T? L could still learn S with H or P, without breaking any rules. Same as P placing on Swahili or Tigrinya. When G isn’t learning S or T, it gives L & P chances to learn such language.

Please let me know how am I thinking wrong!

Thank you.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
feifei wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:25 am Hello,

I have a question about the analysis on the bottom of p374...
Thank you.
Hi Feifei,

Just fyi, we have moved your question over to the LG forum for this specific game, at viewforum.php?f=306.

Each game has its own section, with a discussion of the setup--where this will go--as well as each question. That allows us to compile all info on each game into a single section.

Thanks!
 Beatrice Brown
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Feifei! Thanks for your great question :)

It's possible for L and P to learn S or T. However, what is not possible is for L to learn both S and T, or for P to learn both S and T.

This is because G must learn either S or T (because G cannot learn R or Y), and whichever language G learns, H must also learn. Furthermore, only 2 researchers can learn S or T. So if G and H learn S, no other researchers can learn it, and same thing with G and H learning T.

Therefore, if L learns both S and T, for example, then G cannot learn any of the languages, which isn't allowed by the rules since each researcher must learn at least 1 language.

I hope this helps!
 claudia26
|
Hello!

What about using G/H/L/P as my base?

Then we know the elements to be placed are R S S T T Y Y Y (given rules of exactly how many we have of each)

And then from here, we can infer that since R goes only once, it cannot be in group G as if we have it in G --> it would be in H as well. Likewise, Y has to go three times yet we can't have it in G because if G --> ~L and ~P, so we can infer Y has to go in all three of H, L & P. And then finally we can create two templates with the only variables left that could be placed in G = meaning (template 1) ONE of S/T in G and (scenario 2) G has both of S & T.

Is this a good way to approach it? What would you recommend I do if I encounter a similar game in the exam? And if the other way is better (RSTY) as my base how can I make sure I select this one as the base in a future game?

Thank you!!
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Claudia,

In this game, I recommend using the languages (R, S, T, and Y) as the base because of the certainty associated with the languages. As you mentioned, we know exactly how many researchers can learn each language, but we do not know exactly how many languages each researcher can learn. This makes the languages an intuitive base for the game. Additionally, it is easier to visualize and diagram the rules when using the languages as the base than it is to do so when the researchers are the base (for example the LG not block compared to a different representation of the rule when the researchers are the base).

Your inferences are still correct regardless, which makes sense since the inferences shouldn't change even if your base changes (after all, the rules are the same no matter how you visualize the game)! It's just easier to use the languages as the base for the aforementioned reasons :)

If you encounter a similar question in the future, consider the certainty of the different variables when determining a base. For example, if you know that there are three groups people could fit into, but you don't know how many people go in those groups, make the groups the base! You can also consider how the rules are phrased and what variables they focus on, as this can provide further direction for determining a base. Each game is a little bit different, and some even have a somewhat intuitive component (such as selecting the buildings trucks are going into as the base instead of the trucks being the base because it's much easier to think about trucks moving as opposed to buildings!).

I hope this helps! :)
Kate
 jailenea
|
I agree with the previous comment. I've seen PowerScore go with templates many times before, and this, I think, would've been the best setup here--for the sake of efficiency. Since GH can only go in Swahili, Tigrinya, or both, I made 3 templates representative of that and got through the questions in an acceptable amount of time. Without doing that, the game was taking far too much more time (and I was getting questions wrong). I actually felt lost and like I needed to draw out many question specific templates for each one (which, after doing so many, made me realize to do so based on GH), which was taking too long.

What's the reasoning for not going with a 3 template setup here?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi J,

In this case it's because I felt it didn't require doing so and the game could be fairly easily handled with the given setup. That said--and I've said this many times before--there's no right or wrong approach to a game like this. You can make templates or not, and either approach will work. You've probably heard Jon and I discuss how in certain games one of us will make templates and the other won't, and that's because it's a personal judgment call once you reach a certain level. That certainly applies here in my opinion.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.