LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
This is a Basic Linear: Balanced game.

On the heels of the hardest game on this test comes the easiest game on the test. The initial scenario
is fairly simple, and involves presenting seven awards in order, leading to the following initial setup:
Capture24.PNG
Capture25.PNG
An analysis of the most restricted spaces reveals that only F, H, or S can be presented first, and
only G, J, or S can be presented seventh. This information, when combined with the fact that S is a
random, leads to the final setup for the game:
Capture26.PNG
As mentioned previously, the super-sequence is the key to the game and should be tracked constantly
throughout the questions. It incorporates the second, third, fourth, and fifth rules, meaning that the
sequence and the first rule are the only two elements you must consider in each question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 srcline@noctrl.edu
|
Hello ,

I dont know where I am going wrong with this game. I diagrammed it as follows:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (base)

G,K,J is not 1
H L is not 7

H>K
L>J

FH (block)
HF (block)

KL (block)
LK(Block)

My chains were
FH>K
HF>K
KL>J
Lk>J

Thankyou
Sarah
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sarah,

The trick to this game is combining the rules. By using the K that rules 2 and 5 have in common, we can combine rules 2-5, to have this setup:

FH-or-HF < KL-or-LK < J
We know spot 1 cannot have G, K, L, or J, and spot 7 cannot have F, H, K, or L. S is a wildcard here.

With that, you should be ready to answer the questions!
 T.B.Justin
|
Is this a basic linear, defined game type?
 Charlie Melman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's right, Justin, and note that it's also balanced.
 ray57
|
Hello,

It would really be helpful if there were the explanations of the initial setup and deductions and then explanations for each answer choice like there are for the HW questions. Why aren't there explanations for these practice timed sections? And if you provide them, where can I find them?

Thanks ,

Ray
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey there Ray! We are working on creating those explanations for every setup and every question, but that takes a lot of time and effort. We prioritized the most recent tests when we began that project and have been working our way backwards in time, so these tests from the 90's will be the last ones to get that level of attention. However, if there is a specific question that you want to ask that we haven't yet got a thread for, you can start that new thread, and we'll answer it, prompting us to create and provide that explanation for you and for all future readers of the thread!

So, go ahead and pose those questions in new threads under the right main thread for the year, month, and section, and we'll do our best to get you the help you need.
 studyhelp20
|
Dear Power Score Staff,

Can I have some help with the complete diagram of the setup and rules? It is hard for me to visualize the correct setup from the previous questions asked. Thanks for the help.

Sincerely,
Brennan Hampton
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Brennan!

Here's a diagram of the setup and rules. As others have said, the trick with this game is to combine the rules into one chain so that you can make all of the Not Law inferences. This is tricky with rotating block rules like we have with the FH/HF and KL/LK rules. For those, I chose to use a circle block. The circle indicates that the two variables have to be adjacent, but the order does not matter. It's just a more efficient way of diagramming a rule like that rather than doing separate blocks for FH and HF. It also makes it easier to combine everything into one chain. You have to be a little careful with the Not Laws for the chain. FH and LK basically have the same restrictions on them. So F and H both have to have K, L, and J after them, meaning F and H can't go in the last 3 slots. L and K have to have F and H before them and J after them, meaning L and K can't go in the first two slots or the last slot. J has to have F, H, L, and K before it, meaning it can't go in the first four slots.
Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 11.31.16 AM.png
Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.