LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Jkjones3789
|
Hello, For this game I was able to make some not blocks and deduced that if you have X the previous year Z must be the next year after and if you have Z the previous year W must be the next year after. I was able to answer 20, 23, and 24 correctly , but I have no idea about 21 and 22. In 21 I was able to narrow it down to B and C but I'm not sure which one. Is there a major inference that I missed that would have allowed me to have a more efficient approach? Thank you
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi JK,

Thanks for the question. Your inferences are both correct.

For question 21, there is no single inference -- but several smaller ones which help eliminate the wrong choices. The way to rule out answer choice C (as you mention being down to B & C) can partially be visualized:

factories: F G H J K
year 1 V W
2 W Z
3 W

Remember that each model must show up in each year, and that Z can only show up once per year. The challenge here is that there's then no way to have X in year 1, because if X shows up in year 1 for H, J or K, that results in Z showing up twice in year 2, violating the last rule. That lends us an inference, in year 1, X will show up just once, be followed by Z just once in year 2. Therefore factory G can not have W in year 1 and Z in year 2.

You can also notice that the same will be true with X in year 2 -- Z will need to follow it in year 3 in the same factory, and nowhere else. Only in year 3, where X doesn't have to be followed by anything, will we not have to place Z just after it in the same factory.

This same combined inference will solve question 22 for you -- you know that because X must be followed by Z when it shows up in year 1 and 2, X can only show up once in those two years. That corresponds to answer choice B, which is the correct answer.

Hope this helps!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.