LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Paola
|
Hello!

I'm having a really tough time setting this game up. I know that it's a grouping game, but I'm stuck on how to best visualize the information. I tried doing a vertical aspect set up, but there is too much info to efficiently diagram.
 AthenaDalton
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Paola,

This is a tricky game to diagram!

Since there are several rules relating to the order in which the cars (V, W, X, Z) can be worked on at a particular factory, I used the years (1, 2 and 3) as a baseline and arranged the factories (F, G, H, J, K) vertically.

What we end up with is a grid 5 spaces high (representing each factory) and 3 spaces wide (representing years 1 through 3). The actual cars (V, W, X, Z) will be placed into the spaces:

1  2  3
F  _  _  _
G  _  _  _
H  _  _  _
J  _  _  _
K  _  _  _

The big inferences here are that if X is manufactured at a factory, Z will be manufactured the next year, and W the year after that. We also know that Z cannot be manufactured in two locations in the same year, so only one "Z" variable will be used per year. Since X :arrow: Z, we have the same limitation on repeating X in years 1 or 2, since that would force two factories to manufacture Z in years 2 or 3.

I hope this helps you get started! Good luck!
 LSAT2018
|
I understood the part about the restrictions on X and Z, but wouldn't it be possible that X is repeated twice?
One possibility could be the XZW block followed by X as the last car in one year (so VXZWX)

Thanks in advance!
 Shannon Parker
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
LSAT2018 wrote:I understood the part about the restrictions on X and Z, but wouldn't it be possible that X is repeated twice?
One possibility could be the XZW block followed by X as the last car in one year (so VXZWX)

Thanks in advance!
Since X cannot be followed in the same factory by W or X, it must be followed by Z. Therefore if X appears in year one or two, Z must be built in the same factory the following year. Since Z cannot be built by two different factories in the same year, it cannot appear twice, thus X cannot appear twice in years one or two.

In your proposed scenario, VXZWX, Z would then have to be built in factories G and K in year two because it would have to follow both of the Xs. Since Z cannot appear twice this is not allowed.

Hope this helps
Shannon

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.