LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8601)

The correct answer choice is (E)

Because the second sentence of the game scenario requires that the tasks be completed in the prescribed order, we know that for this question, where S is done on the third day, P must also be done on the third day as well.

As we know from the introductory discussion, there is no numerical distribution which allows for more than two tasks to be done on Wednesday, so we know that S and P must be the only tasks completed that day. Since at least one task must be completed on each, we know that the first task, F, must be completed on the first day, and that the third task, T, must be done on the second day. The only question which then remains is whether W is done on the first or the second day:
J00_Game_#4_#22_diagram 1.png
With T established as being done on the second day, the correct answer must include G or L. That inference eliminates answer choices (A), (B), and (C).

As answer choices (D) and (E) each contain two names, the distribution in this question must be fixed at 1-2-2, with taping and wallboarding completed on the second day. Thus, the correct answer must include G or L for the taping (both answers do so), and a person capable of completing wallboarding. Only L or O can complete wallboarding, and answer choice (E) must therefore be correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 g_lawyered
|
Hi Powerscore,
I'm very confused as to why the correct answer is A and not E. The question itself is tricky because i don't see how S would be 3rd. This is my sketch that I used for this question

I/K L/O G/L H/K/M H/I/O/
:longline: :longline: :longline: :longline: :longline:
F. W. T S P

Because the game states that we MUST follow the order in which tasks are placed I don't see how S could be 3rd in either distribution (whether it went in 3 days or 2 days) (unless we skipped T overall and your explanation states that all 5 tasks must go- meaning we can't skip any tasks).

Because of this placement I chose answer choice E because 2nd place is W (not F) so I was inclined to chose an answer with L and O or both (like answer choice E states)
I don't see how answer choice A is correct because that means the F is 2nd when according to the question- S is supposed to be 3rd.
Can someone please point out where my thought process is incorrect and why is A correct? :-?

Thanks in advance
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi GG,

The question stem is not asking you to put S third in the order of the completion of the tasks. Rather, S is completed on the third day. S is still the 4th overall task to be completed. The question stem just wants us to put that 4th task (along with Priming, the 5th task) on the third day.

There are two ways to split up the tasks over 3 days, when Sanding and Priming are both on the third day (as the question stem requires). I'll label them "Mini Template 1," and "Mini Template 2."

Mini Template 1

Day 1: Framing
Day 2: Wallboarding, Taping
Day 3: Sanding, Priming

Mini Template 2

Day 1: Framing, Wallboarding
Day 2: Taping
Day 3: Sanding, Priming

Since Inga can only do Framing or Priming, and since those tasks must be completed on Day 1 or Day 3 in each of our Mini Templates, Inga won't be able to work on Day 2, and answer choice A is out.

Since Kelly can only do Framing or Sanding, and since those tasks must be completed on Day 1 or Day 3 in each of our Mini Templates, Kelly won't be able to work on Day 2, and answer choice B is out.

Olaf could do Wallboarding on Day 2 in Mini Template 1, but if Wallboarding is on Day 2, then someone else must do Taping. Since the answer wants a complete list of all the crew members who work on Day 2, answer choice C is out (it's an incomplete list).

George could do Taping with another crew member on Day 2 in Mini Template 1, but then he would work with someone who does Wallboarding. Helena cannot do Wallboarding, so answer choice D is out.

Answer choice E is the correct answer because Olaf could do Wallboarding on Day 2, then Leanda could do Taping on Day 2. We could solve the rest of the scenario by having Inga do Framing on Day 1, Maricita do Sanding on Day 3, and Helena do Priming on Day 3. (There are other ways to solve this as well, but that's just one that would work.)

I hope this helps!
 christinecwt
|
Hi Team - just wonder can anyone explain why S and P must be the only tasks completed on third day? Many thanks!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Christine,

Thanks for the question! Well, we know that S is done on the third day from the question stem: "If the installation takes three days, and if the sanding is done on the third day..." and then the explanation above talks about why P must also be on that day because "The crew completes five tasks in this order: framing, wallboarding, taping, sanding, priming" (bolding added).

One suggestion I have for you is when you see an inference that doesn't make sense at first, try making a scenario where that inference doesn't occur. That very often helps show why the inference exists, and gives those moments of illumination that really help with learning LG.

Thanks!
 christinecwt
|
Thanks a lot Dave! My bad.... I have missed out the order ><

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.