LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1891)

The correct answer choice is (A)

If new soul is the only type of new CD on sale, then all other new types of CDs are not on sale. From the contrapositive of the fourth rule, then, if new pop is not on sale, then at least one type of jazz must be on sale. Since new jazz cannot be on sale, used jazz must be on sale. Therefore, answer choice (A) cannot be true and is correct.
 szamias
|
Hi Dave, thanks, again. I just did this question. Being that I read your advice prior to doing the problem I found it easier to take in.

This is how I set up the game:

N / U
J
O ------
P X
R
S

RULES:
(CONTRA+'s):

NP + UP => NS + US
(no NS or no US => no NP or no UP)

NJ + UJ => no NR + no UR
(NR or UR => no NJ or no UJ )

no NJ + no UJ => NP
(no NP => NJ or UJ)

NR or UR => no NS + no US
(NS or US => no NR + no UR )

NR or UR => no NS + no US => no NP or no UP

NR or UR => no NJ or no UJ => MAYBE NP (if both NJ and UJ)

With all of that being said (or written, if you will) I don't understand why Q. # 12 is A.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Szamias,

Here's the explanation to #12:

If new soul is the only type of new CD on sale, then all other new types of CDs are not on sale. From the contrapositive of the fourth rule, then, if new pop is not on sale, then at least one type of jazz must be on sale. Since new jazz cannot be on sale, used jazz must be on sale. Therefore, answer choice (A) cannot be true and is correct.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 szamias
|
Yes. Very helpful!! Thank you.
 ivan.l99
|
Do people still check these forums? I had some questions but it looks as if the last reply was around a decade ago.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Every day, Ivan! It just may be that the threads you looked at hadn't had any activity in a while. We get questions every day, and every weekday we have instructors assigned to answer them. On the weekends, some of us occasionally poke our heads in and answer a few then, too. So, if you have questions, go ahead and ask, we'll be here for you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.