LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1891)

The correct answer choice is (E)

Answer choice (A) is incorrect because, from the third rule, when both types of jazz are on sale, then no rap is on sale.

Answer choice (B) is incorrect because, from the last rule, when either type of rap is on sale, then no soul is on sale.

Answer choice (C) is incorrect because, from the fourth rule, when neither type of jazz is on sale, then new pop is on sale.

Answer choice (D) is incorrect because, from the second rule, when both types of pop are on sale, then all soul is on sale.

Answer choice (E) is the correct answer choice.
 mbrefo
|
Question #7

I was able to to eliminate answers A-D and by default the correct answer is E, however, I want to understand why E is correct.

I thought that both Used Jazz and New Jazz have to be on sale in order for Used Rap and New rap not to be on sale, but only used jazz is one sale in this answer choice.

Can someone please explain why this answer choice is correct?

Thanks!
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mbrefo wrote:Question #7

I was able to to eliminate answers A-D and by default the correct answer is E, however, I want to understand why E is correct.

I thought that both Used Jazz and New Jazz have to be on sale in order for Used Rap and New rap not to be on sale, but only used jazz is one sale in this answer choice.

Can someone please explain why this answer choice is correct?

Thanks!
Hello mbrefo,

Continuing a long thread about this fascinating game: used and new jazz, when combined, ensure that there is no rap. (Rule 3) However, that is a sufficient condition, i.e., (nj + uj) :arrow: slash rap. That doesn't mean it's a necessary condition! "No rap" does not require as a necessity, that there be both types of jazz.
So you may be doing a Mistaken Reversal or such. But it's Halloween, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. . .

Hope this helps,
David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.