LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1891)

The correct answer choice is (D)

As discussed in the setup, the second and fourth rules of the game can be combined to produce the following inference:
  • ..... ..... JNU ..... :arrow: ..... SNU

Thus, it cannot be true that neither type of jazz and neither type of soul is on sale, and answer choice (D) is correct.

Also as noted in the setup, answer choices (A), (B), and (C) are likely to be possible because they involve O.
 lsatquestions
|
Hi, I answered this correctly but do you mind confirming I have the contrapositive of the 4th rule correctly:

Rule: ~JN + ~JU --> PN
Contrapositive: ~PN --> JN or JU

This means that even with ~PN, we can have either jazz on sale or BOTH, which would make D) incorrect.
 katehos
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsatquestions,

Your diagram of the contrapositive is correct - great job! However, the correct answer is still answer choice (D).

If you refer to the inference notated by Dave above (JN + JU :arrow: SN + SU; contrapositive SN or SU :arrow: JN or JU), we can see that in any situation, at least one of jazz or soul is on sale. This inference is a combination of both rules 2 and 4. Remember, it's important to consider not just the rules individually, but also what their interactions can lead us to infer!

I hope this helps! :)
Kate

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.