LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11096)

The correct answer choice is (A)

If T is performed fifth, then from the third rule O must be performed first. If F is performed sixth, then from the second rule R must be performed second or third. S cannot be performed second due to the last rule. S also cannot be performed third because if S were third, then P would be second, and there would be no place for R. This information leads to the following setup:
October 00_game#2_M12_L3_explanations_game#5_#14_diagram_1.png
Remember, because R must be second or third, and P must be performed at some time before S, S cannot be performed second or third. Hence, the only options available to S are fourth and seventh, and answer choice (A) is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 yourfavoriteamber
|
Answer choice A: fourth or seventh - why is seventh an option for S? I thought 7 was H or L from the global rules?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

I think that perhaps you misread that rule, because it states that, "The eighth composition performed is either L or H." So, it's the 8th spot that must be H or L.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mpink11
|
If T is performed fifth, that means O must be first. But one of the rules states that at least one composition is performed either after O and before S or after S and before O. This made me think that S would automatically be in the 3rd space, allowing a space after O, however the answers all pose to options for S. I understand the spacing mentioned in the explanation below, I am just confused because it seems that this goes against the rule so I am clearly misunderstanding. Help please! :-?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
mpink11 wrote:If T is performed fifth, that means O must be first. But one of the rules states that at least one composition is performed either after O and before S or after S and before O. This made me think that S would automatically be in the 3rd space, allowing a space after O, however the answers all pose to options for S. I understand the spacing mentioned in the explanation below, I am just confused because it seems that this goes against the rule so I am clearly misunderstanding. Help please! :-?
Hi M,

You appear to have missed the "at least in the last rule: "At least one composition is performed either after O and before S, or after S and before O." This means the block is a rotating split-block, but one with a minimum of a single space between O and S. Thus, the block is like an accordion of sorts, and it moves and can get larger and larger as needed.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 mpink11
|
Yes! Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.