LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Grouping/Linear Combination game.

This game bears a striking resemblance to the third game of the December 1994 LSAT. The only difference is that the December 1994 game contained an extra not-block rule.

This Grouping/Linear Combination game features eight reports filling six spaces, and the six spaces are spread over three days, in morning and afternoon slots:
O00_Game_#1_setup_diagram 1.png
As always, the choice of putting the morning row on the top or bottom is yours; each presentation is functionally identical.

The first rule indicates that if G gives a report, then it must be on Tuesday. Thus, G cannot give a report on Monday or Wednesday:
O00_Game_#1_setup_diagram 2.png
The second rule eliminates O and R from giving afternoon reports, which can be shown with side Not Laws:
O00_Game_#1_setup_diagram 3.png
The third rule is an unusual one, and it indicates that if Nina gives a report on Monday or Tuesday, then H and I must give reports the following day:
O00_Game_#1_setup_diagram 4.png
The previous information can be compiled to produce the final setup for the game:
O00_Game_#1_setup_diagram 5.png
 nyc431
|
What is the contrapositive for Rule #3?
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It would be that if H and I don't both give reports on Tuesday or Wednesday, then Nina cannot gives a report on Monday or Tuesday.

So, as soon as H and I give reports on different days, or if H and I both gave reports on Monday, N is knocked out of Monday and Tuesday.

Thanks!
 akreimerman1
|
Hi,

How can you guarantee that neither K or L is scheduled? In the question stem and instructions you can assume they are randoms but not that they are definitely out, yet in the explanations of the game it says neither K or L is selected.

Thank you.
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
If you're referring to Question #2 for that game, it's because the question itself says "If Kyle and Lenore do not give reports... ." It's not an inference, it's the restriction provided for a local question, so you have to start with that as a given.

For a more detailed explanation of that game, check out this thread:

viewforum.php?f=279

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.