LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=8639)

The correct answer choice is (D)

The condition in the question stem produces the following mini-diagram:
December 2000_game#1_M12_L1_explanations_game#2_#4_diagram_1.png
S must be ranked ahead of P because otherwise S would be ranked seventh, a violation of the rules.

In a Could Be True question the correct answer choice could actually have the characteristic of Must Be True, but that usually does not occur on the LSAT. Consequently, since the correct answer will contain a scenario that is possible but not certain to occur, the best strategy is to look immediately for the uncertainty in the diagram and attack that area. Since the only uncertainty in this question involves J and V (J could be ranked ahead of V or V could be ranked ahead of J), immediately scan the answer choices for one that contains both J and V. In this case only answer choice (D) contains J and V. After a brief examination, it is apparent that answer choice (D) could be true and is therefore correct.

If the diagram to this question had more areas of uncertainty, the strategy above would still have been successful but would have taken more time to apply.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 buyer3700
|
Ok,

Can you describe how you get from the setup to the setup for the local #4 question. I don't understand how when you make a change to the global setup, how you insert into the diagram.

I read and re-read chapter 6 last night, and I don't think it explains that enough for me to understand. It says that pure sequencing games should be a relief for test takers, but I am not there yet :( Is there any more explanation anywhere I can look to?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi,

Glad that first idea makes sense. As for question #4, oddly, in this context it can actually be harder to look at the answer and work backwards, because that local diagram can be confusing if you dont take it one step at a time.

That one introduces two new rules: V > Q and L > J.

Starting with the first of those two rules, V > Q: as we push Q to the right of V on the global diagram, it brings P and S with it (because, as we already knew, P and S both had to be to the right of Q).

Moving on to the second of the two new local rules, L > J: As we push J to the right of L on the global diagram, it brings Q, P and S to the right, because, as wel already knew, those three had to be to the right of L.

And that brings us to the local diagram in the explanation. I hope that's helpful--let me know. Thanks!

~Steve
 andbzav@gmail.com
|
Can you please explain the diagram?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Happy to, andbzav@gmail.com! In this local question, we are given that in addition to all the original rules, we must here put V before Q and L before J. Those are both captured in the sequence in our explanation (the long dashes between letters can be translated to mean "before", so for example Q :longline: S means "Q is before S". ) You can see that V is before (to the left of) Q and that L is before J.

The original rules put H ahead of both J and L, but for this question only we are told that in addition to that information, L is before J. That gives us the sequence H :longline: L :longline: J . Add to that the original rule that J is before Q, and now we have H :longline: L :longline: J :longline: Q.

The original rules told us further that L was before V, and for this question only we are also told that V is before Q, so that allows us to build the sequence H :longline: L :longline: V :longline: Q . We can now combine these two sequences, showing H before L, L before both J and V, and both J and V before Q.

After that, there are only two variables left, P and S. The original rules told us that Q was before both of them, and that S was not last, so the only way that works is with the sequence Q :longline: S :longline: P. We attach that to the end of the combined sequences described above, and we get the diagram from the explanation. You can read it in plain English like this:

H is before L, which is before both J and V, which are both before Q, which is before S, which is before P

(If you are at all concerned about the portion of one of the rules that required L to be before S, don't be! It is before S in this sequence, so that rule has been satisfied.)

In this sequence, H must be the first variable in the order, followed by L in second position. J and V are interchangeable at 3rd and 4th - they could fill those two slots in either order. Q has to follow them both in 5th position, then S in 6th, and finally P in 7th. Voila!

We discuss this sort of "Pure Sequencing" game in the LG Bible, as well as in Lesson 1 in our full length courses both online and in person. Let us know if that doesn't clear things up for you, and we'll be here to help further!
 andbzav@gmail.com
|
This helps a lot, thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.