LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ray,

All your rules and contrapositives are correct, so good work there! You have also correctly deduced perhaps the most challenging inference in the game, namely that L cannot be at S, and is thus L is always at R.

By the way, my preferred approach to this game is to create four templates, based on O at R (one template) and O at S (three templates). Those four templates reveal that there are only six total solutions to the game.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 RayMiller
|
Yes this helps sooooo much!!!

Too bad I just over thought the game. Because I was thinking surely they wouldn't include rules that would contradict. But it's not a contradiction, it's a strong restriction.

Thanks Dave for such a quick response. I always appreciate the help.
 Jatt
|
I worked this preptest earlier today and similarly had issues with it. After reading your response Dave, I came up with the following five solutions:

S: P, J, N
R: O, L, K

S: P, J
R: O, L, K, N

S: O, N, K, P
R: L, J

S: O, N, K
R: L, J, P

S: O, N, J, P
R: L, K

Which solution am I missing here, since I only have five and you said there are six?

Also, in general, what's the best approach to attack this game? I wrote out all of the conditionals and contrapositives correctly and was able to attack the specific questions with relative ease. However, I wasn't able to answer all of the questions because I didn't know that making templates by using the location of O as the base was the best way to go and thereby ran out of time. How can I know this for future games?

Finally, how do you solve #23 on that game? I've narrowed it down to (A) and (E) but, according to the templates I have, they both seem to be plausible answers.

Thanks in advance!
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Jatt - thanks for the questions. It looks like the template you're missing is as follows:

S: O N P
R: K J L [note that K and J can go together at R, just not at S]

Let's take a look at question 23: here you can just use your templates to quickly move through the answers until you arrive at E, which is not allowed by any of the solutions shown, thus N and P at R cannot be true. Answer choice A is allowed by the missing solution that I gave you above :)

As for identifying templates, here it's obviously controlled by the placement of O and what could then happen to K and J. But templates in general are the product of a fair number of things and can be pretty tricky to predict (for instance, does a two-value system like the one in this game always produce templates? no, but it very often does.)

That said, if you let me know what materials you're working with I can possibly steer you in the right direction to learn more about these ideas--there's a significant amount of text in our course books on it, the Logic Games Bible has a chapter devoted to it, etc.

In fact, if you don't have the Games Bible and want to learn more, we've got a new, substantially expanded edition coming out next week that would certainly give you a LOT of great insight into not only templates, but also every other aspect of attacking Games. So definitely something to consider :-D

Hope that helps!

Jon
 SherryZ
|
Hi there,

I read your response previously. You mentioned that your preferred approach to this game is to create four templates, based on O at R (one template) and O at S (three templates). Those four templates reveal that there are only six total solutions to the game.

I wonder why you know to create templates based on O at R & at S?? There are so many letters, why do you pick O??

Thank you!

---Sherry
 Emily Haney-Caron
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Sherry,

Great question! There are a couple of things that would lead me to create my templates around O in this game.

You would automatically eliminate L as the variable to create a template around (because it can only go in one position).

Next, given that L can't be at S, Rule 3 only serves to establish that restriction; once you've identified the restriction, what Rule 3 says about N and P is irrelevant to the rest of the game (because L can't be at S, so Rule 3 is never triggered).

That leaves you with Rules 2, 4, and 5 all giving you information relevant to O. That makes O the variable appearing most in the Rules, and accordingly, O gives you the most information about the placement of other variables.

O, therefore, controls the game in a sense. It allows you to see where the other variables can go.

Does that help answer the question?

Thanks!
Emily
 SherryZ
|
Dear Emily,

Thank you so much for your reply! Your are the EXPERT!! I did not think in a way as you did, that's the reason that although I got the questions correctly, but very slowly :(

Hope I can improve to your level lol

Thanks again!

--Sherry
 eober
|
Hi,

My setup for this game:
Js-->Kr CP: Ks--> Jr
Jr-->Os CP: Or--> Js
Ls--> Nr + Pr CP: Ns or Ps (is it true to say "but not both?) --> Lr
Nr--> Or CP: Os --> Ns
Pr--> Ks + Os CP: Kr or Or--> Ps

Then I tried connecting it starting with Ls

Nr --> Or
Ls--> +
Pr --> Ks --> Jr
+Os

But how could the above diagram can be possible (both Or and Os), I can't see where I am going wrong.

Any help is appreciated!
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, eober,

This one can quickly get complicated, despite there being only two groups. Or maybe because of that! ;)

Your initial setup is quite correct. Well done there. :-D It may be false to say "but not both", but it doesn't really matter, just the "or" will suffice. That second diagram is a bit wobbly...here's the setup I made when I diagrammed this game. For me, the keys were Nr and Pr.

Nr :arrow: Or :arrow: Js :arrow: Kr :arrow: Ps :arrow: Lr

I combined Nr :arrow: Or, Or :arrow: Js, Js :arrow: Kr, Kr or Or :arrow: Ps, and Ps :arrow: Lr to get that one long string. Then, starting with Pr...

..........Ks :arrow: Jr
Pr :arrow:
..........Os :arrow: Ns :arrow: Lr

From those two, I was able to address the questions. If there's any more setup you need help with, let me know! :)

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 eober
|
Thank you so much that diagram is very helpful. But I still don't understand why it does not give the same results when I start with Ls.

Is there a reason why we pick to start with Pr?

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.