LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=8668)

The correct answer choice is (A)

The question stem requires you to provide the maximum number of different orders when the philosophers discussed are in alphabetical order. Only Template #1 is in alphabetical order, and as there are two solutions in that template—both of which meet the alphabetical requirement—answer choice (A) is correct.
 LAM
|
This game was an easy set-up for me; however, I do not understand the Q stem for #9. It seems there is only one option for the five lectures to be in alphabetical order. This is KLMNO. If you choose KLMNP - this is not alphabetical order - unless the test makers definition of 'alphabetical order' does not require immediate succession of letters, which is nuts to me. Alphabetical order means just that to me. I am afraid of reading into Q stems like this because how do I know if my assumption is correct, when choosing an answer?
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LAM,

I agree that "alphabetical order" could be confusing. However, the test makers did not include "1" as an answer choice. I'm guessing they did this so that it would be clear to students that "alphabetical order" does not mean "consecutive alphabetical order." What happened when you did not see "1" as an answer choice? Were you able to re-adjust your definition of "alphabetical order" and get the correct answer?

If a question stem can be correctly interpreted multiple ways, then the test makers will remove that question from scoring. This rarely happens, but it does happen sometimes. The test makers work hard to ensure that questions can only be correctly interpreted one way. And they might give you hints like they did on this question by not giving you "1" as an answer choice.

If you ever find that 1) your answer choice is not one of the options, or 2) you end up with two correct answer choices, then you should re-read the question and and check your understanding of what is being asked.

And now you know that "alphabetical order" does NOT mean "consecutive alphabetical order" on this test. One less thing for you to worry about on test day. :)
 mankariousc
|
Hello!

I am still confused about this question stem. I understand that it is not asking for KLMNO, but I don't really understand what it is actually asking. Could you help me with this?

Thanks!
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi mankariousc,

This question gave a lot of test takers trouble! The lecturers discuss these philosophers: KLMNOP.

So how many different schedules can be made where the philosophers are discussed in alphabetical order?

Take a look at the thread with the setup for this game here: Setup and Rule Diagrams

From there, you should be able to see that the only options for alphabetical order would be:
KLMNO or KLMNP

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.