LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=267&p=90470#p90470)

The correct answer choice is (C)

Note that this question asks for a list of the professors who could have been hired in the three named years. Thus, the professors in each answer choices are not given in chronologically correct order, but rather in alphabetical order. Thus, you simply need to find the answer choice that contains all of the professors who could have been hired at some point in those three years.

We have already established that N, O, and R were hired in 1989, 1990, and 1991, respectively, so any answer choice that does not include those three professors must be eliminated. This removes answer choices (B), (D), and (E) from consideration. The remaining two answer choices—(A) and (C)—differ only in that answer choice (C) contains P whereas (A) does not. As established previously, P could have been hired in 1990 or 1991, and thus P must be included in the correct answer if the list is to be a complete and accurate list. Hence, answer choice (C) is correct.
 ava17
|
Hi,

For question #18, I'm confused by A can't be the correct answer. I have P set up to go between 89-92, but that leaves this as a valid situation: 89:N 90:O 91:R 92: P,S 93:M 94: Nobody 95: T

Thanks!
 Jay Donnell
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Ava!

I'm really glad you asked this question, as the language that I think is the culprit behind your trouble is a common and tricky phrase that deserves some special attention.

This is an odd Linear game for a few reasons. One, it's not guaranteed that it has a balanced (or 1:1) structure, which allows for the possibility that more than one player can occupy a given spot. But for me, the most curious aspect is just how much of the game can be deduced up front due to the extremely limited starting conditions.

By using the set placements given and the fact that professors with shared specialties cannot be hired in the same year or consecutive years, we can deduce where six of the seven professors must go:

N O R S M (x) T
9 0 1 2 3 4 5

( (x) symbolizing a year that no professors can be hired)

With P's shared specialties and it's needing to come between N and M, it is limited to either '90, '91 or '92. That variability is a key part of most of the questions in this game, as well as the number 18 we have in question.

The key phrase I mentioned earlier is "complete and accurate."

Number 18 asks for the complete and accurate list of the professors that could be hired in the years '89, '90 or 91.

Your incorrect answer of A certainly provides an accurate listing of players who could be hired there, as we know N, O and R must be hired in those years. However, since P could be hired in either '90 or '91, the correct list of players couldn't be complete without including P, which is the difference between A and the correct answer of C.

Be on the lookout for that power phrase in the future!

I'm thankful you asked this question, I hope that my explanation was helpful!
 studyhelp20
|
Hello Power support Staff,

Can you please provide an explanation of the correct answer to this problem for me? thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Brennan
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
studyhelp20 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:37 am Hello Power support Staff,

Can you please provide an explanation of the correct answer to this problem for me? thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Brennan
Hi Brennan,

I'm going to send this one back to you as well. :D We are always happy to help, but we will be able to assist you best if you provide us with some more details first.

Here's what I'd like you to do:

1. Describe your approach to the setup. Were you able to determine what type of game it is? What the variable sets are?

2. Were you able to diagram any of the rules, or make any inferences?

3. Please also review Jay's comments above. Let us know if that helps, or if you have any specific questions about his post.

I am confident that you will get more out of our help if we start with an understanding of how you approached the question and what you found difficult about it. :)

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.