LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear Game: Balanced, Identify the Templates.

The initial setup made by most students appears as follows:
Dec 01_M12_game#2_L9_explanations_Limited game#2_setup_diagram_1.png
However, there is more that can be done with the setup because the linkage among the rules ultimately leads to a set of powerful and limiting inferences.
  • Because I and M are the first two calls aired, and F and G’s calls air after H, H must call third, and F and G call fourth and fifth, not necessarily in that order:
    Dec 01_M12_game#2_L9_explanations_Limited game#2_setup_diagram_2.png
    Note that for the callers there are only four possible orders. By itself this does not suggest that you should draw out all four orders. The diagram thus far captures them well, and without the other pieces placed, there are still far too many overall solutions to attempt to show them all.

Continuing on, because H must call third, H calls from K and is taped:
    Dec 01_M12_game#2_L9_explanations_Limited game#2_setup_diagram_3.png
    The last rule can now be applied in decisive fashion. If neither M or F calls from S, and H is the one call from K, then M and F must both call from V. Further, G and I must then call from S, and, from the third rule, both calls from S are live.
    These connections create the following blocks:
Dec 01_M12_game#2_L9_explanations_Limited game#2_setup_diagram_4.png
The placement options for these blocks are so limited, and they provide so much additional information, as to make it obvious that we should Identify the Possibilities based on the order of the callers, and adding in the block information:
Dec 01_M12_game#2_L9_explanations_Limited game#2_setup_diagram_5.png
Further, since there is only the option of L or T in the open spaces, each template encompasses four solutions, and thus these four templates hold the sixteen possibilities of this game (we will not show the L/T dual-option in each remaining open space in order to preserve clarity since the diagrams are already so info-laden).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 intent228
|
Practicing limited solution/template games. My set up mirrored this and was able to go through all of the questions relatively easy/quickly, or so I thought.

The game took me 9:08 total.

I know the avg time alloted per game and that this game might be expected to slow test takers down, but I just want to know, how far off am I from having been able to say I did this as effeciently as possible?
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi intent228!

That timing doesn't actually seem too far off your target here! Yes, the average amount of time you have per game (assuming your strategy is to complete all games and that you do not have a timing accommodation) is 8:45. But, again, that's an average. Some games take a little longer because they are tougher. But some take a little longer just because they have more questions. This is a 7 question game. It should take you longer than a 5 question game. 9:08 seems right on track for this.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.