LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Homework or Lesson help relating to our Accelerated or Live Online Accelerated Courses.
 saranash1
|
The correct answer choice states that a law is described, the rationale put forward for ONE of its clauses is outlined & dismissed, and a different rationale for the clause is presented.
But in the passages TWO main reasons were advanced for the restriction on the Native American's ability to sell their lands & both of those are dismissed.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi saranash1,

Thanks for your question--that answer choice is cleverly worded; there are indeed two main reasons discussed--together, they make up the referenced rationale for the Dawes Act clause discussed by the author.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
But if there was only one rationale for the Dawes act (the combination of the two reasons that were discussed) shouldn't the word "one" be eliminated?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi saranash1,

"One of its clauses" refers to the Dawes Act clause discussed.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
Well, If one refers to the Dawes Act what is the other clause discussed? "One" typically means there are others & it seems the Dawes Act is the only thing discussed?
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi saranash1,

Thanks for your response. To be clear, the Dawes Act is the law in question, and this choice deals with one of its (that is, one of the Dawes Act's) clauses--specifically, the 25 year waiting period for full ownership of land. You're correct that "one" sometimes suggests others, but only one clause is discussed in this passage.

I hope that's helpful--please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 saranash1
|
ok that makes sense Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.