LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=11359)

The correct answer choice is (D)

Template #1 can be used to disprove answer choice (A). Template #2 can be used to disprove answer choice (B). Template #1 can be used to disprove answer choice (A). Template #2 can be used to disprove answer choice (C). Template #2 can be used to disprove answer choice (E). Hence, answer choice (D) is correct.
 lorettan102
|
I got this answer correct but when setting up my diagram I did not initially set up any templates. Only when I came to this question did I rough out some quick templates and use my understanding of the rules to answer the question. Is that okay?

Thank you.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lorettan102 wrote:I got this answer correct but when setting up my diagram I did not initially set up any templates. Only when I came to this question did I rough out some quick templates and use my understanding of the rules to answer the question. Is that okay?

Thank you.

Hello lorettan102,

You don't absolutely have to set up the recommended templates, but it helps a lot. One of the great things about this classic bookshelves game is that is does involve those three templates, which can save an incredible amount of time. That being said, if you somehow are not able to figure out the optimal templates at the beginning, don't panic, and do the best you can. It looks like it worked for you this one time!

Hope this helps,
David
 amandamarieco
|
Is the only way to get this question correct by building out the templates? Building all the templates in the beginning tends to take too long for me, so I try my best to get to the questions as quickly as possible without having the templates built. BUT I'm finding it hard to see how to get to this answer without the templates.
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It's not the only way, but the basic Templates approach here is so powerful that it's quite helpful. If you don't draw them out (which is ok), you have to, at the least, get the split of the books across the three shelves. That is essential (and what leads to making templates).

But keep this in mind: yes, making templates is an investment, but you are repaid on the back end by being able to go much more quickly through the questions, and typically with much greater accuracy and confidence :-D

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.