LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15987)

The correct answer choice is (C)

From our initial analysis of the third rule, we know that if X is placed first, then V cannot be placed eighth. However, if X is placed first, perhaps V could be placed seventh. The following hypothetical template proves this is possible:

D02_Game_#1_#4_diagram 1.png
This hypothetical, one of several possible hypotheticals, proves answer choice (C) correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 KG!
|
Administrator wrote:Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=15987)

The correct answer choice is (C)

From our initial analysis of the third rule, we know that if X is placed first, then V cannot be placed eighth. However, if X is placed first, perhaps V could be placed seventh. The following hypothetical template proves this is possible:
D02_Game_#1_#4_diagram 1.png
This hypothetical, one of several possible hypotheticals, proves answer choice (C) correct.
I wanted to know how to do this question faster? Tbh, I mainly got this answer after looking at the complete hypothetical in question 1 (XZMVHTPO) I saw how HV were attached to one another and decided to flip and make them as wide apart as possible based on the rule.. This isn't a full proof method, however, was it fine that I went about the process like this? I'm always unsure of what type of hypothetical to make in theses programs especially if I am trying to efficient with my time. Advice on this?

Thanks in advance!
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi KG!

In a question calling for a maximum like this one, it's normally best to start by considering the most extreme possibility (the most extreme maximum) that you can imagine for the game, and then work your way down from there.

Could X and V occupy the extreme ends of the line, with X on 1 and V on 8 (that's the most extreme possibility I can imagine)? No, because they'd be separated by six spaces, and then we wouldn't be able to similarly have H and O be separated by 6 spaces.

Take one step down from that extreme. Could X be on 1, and V be on 7 (instead of 8)? Sure, because then they'd be separated by 5 spaces, and I could put H on 2, and O on 8, and they'd also be separated by 5 spaces. That still leaves room for my ZM block. And we haven't violated the rule that prevents us from putting a red file in space 1. So we're home free!

That's about as efficient as it gets on this kind of maximum question!

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.