LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=234&p=88781)

The correct answer choice is (D)

The question stem replaces the SL block with an SW block. Because the third rule is still active, S and W are quite limited, and the four base templates are changed to appear as follows:

G1-Q7-d1.png

Although additional information can be filled in, the information in the four base templates is enough to prove that answer choice (D) cannot occur, and thus must be the correct answer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 angelsfan0055
|
Could someone provide some guidance on the approach with this one?
I realized I got it wrong because I misread the change — I thought it was from SL to WL rather than from SL to SW.

Would appreciate some suggestions on how I should approach this.

Thanks!
 KelseyWoods
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi angelsfan!

You approach this in much the same way you would any local question, with the exception that now you have to eliminate a rule as well as add a rule. So first, get rid of the SL rule and any inferences you made from it (such as L cannot go 1st) and add the SW rule. It's important to read carefully to make sure you diagram the new rule correctly!

Once we have the new rule, we look at how it might affect the other rules. Look for other rules involving S and/or W. Rule #3 tells us that either S or W must be 3rd. That means that the SW block is very restricted in terms of where it can go. It can either go S2W3 or S3W4. That's it. Since one of them has to be 3rd, that block only has two possible locations.

Other than that, we don't know much else. We don't know where R goes or where G and P go. So with that I would go to the answer choices and look for something that has to do with S and W.

This is a "must be false" question. That means that the one correct answer is something that must be false (or, in other words, cannot be true) and the 4 incorrect answers are going to be things that are possible (a.k.a., could be true). So if an answer choice is possible, we get rid of it because we are looking for something that cannot happen.

Let's skip to the answer choices that deal with S and W.

Answer choice (C) states: "The wool dress is on hanger 4." That's possible because we said one possibility for the SW block was S3W4.

Answer choice (D) states: "The silk dress is on hanger 5." That can't happen. Based on our SW possibilities, S has to be either 2nd or 3rd. Thus, answer choice (D) must be false and is the correct answer.

We should still check the other answer choices to be certain (D) is correct. Answer choices (A), (B), and (E) are all possible so we eliminate them and choose (D).

Hope this helps!

Best,
Kelsey

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.