LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=232&p=88732)

The correct answer choice is (A)

The key word in the question stem is “only.” By including “only,” the question asks for a list of students able to review just Sunset and no other plays.

Due to the numerical distribution, M is immediately removed from consideration. This eliminates answer choice (E).

O can also be removed from consideration as O already reviews T. This eliminates answer choices (B) and (D). Answer choice (D) is also eliminated because K already reviews O.

Answer choice (C) can be removed because L and J cannot review the same play.

Thus, answer choice (A) is proven correct by process of elimination.
 aklangton690
|
Can you discuss the answer for #19. I chose E and cannot figure out why M cannot also be present.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the question. The key here is that the questions asks for a list of students who "only" review Sunset. That is, they review Sunset and nothing else. M cannot review only Sunset, because M must review exactly two plays (see my initial discussion of this game a few posts up).

That make sense?
 tlwilliams4
|
Another question about 19- why does J not work as well (i selected choice b)? In my current set up the students are the base like you said and i have s for j, t for k, u for l, t and u for m, and t for o. Thank you!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
#19 wants to know which variables can have an assignment to S and only S at the same time. Side note: I don't love the phrasing on this question stem because I don't think that's clearly stated here.

Answer choice (C) is thus incorrect because J and L can't review the same play due to the second rule.

Thanks!
 Suzanne
|
Having trouble reconciling how choice "a" can be correct. If Lopez is the only student to review Sunset wouldn't that force J into either T or U, both of which now M has to review since M has to review the two remaining plays which would break the second rule that M cannot review any play that J reviews?
Thank you
 Suzanne
|
Please disregard previous question. Finally understand the phrasing.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks Suzanne, and I'm glad you got it! :)
 snowy
|
Hi there! Do you have any suggestions for what to do when the phrasing is unclear, like Dave said? I went back and forth about whether this question meant in the same instance (in which case my answer would have been A), or if it included in different cases (in which case my answer would be C, which is what I ultimately went with). Is there anything in this question stem that suggests it's referring to the same instance that we can keep in mind for future questions? Or, alternatively, how might the question have been phrased if it were allowing for multiple, different instances?

Thank you!
 Zach Foreman
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
I think it is an ambiguous and therefore a bad question.

It should have either been phrased

"Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of all the students who review only Sunset at the same time"
or
"Which of the following is a complete and accurate list of all the students who review only Sunset, not necessarily at the same time."

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.