LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=230&p=88688)

The correct answer choice is (C)

During the game setup, M was identified as the only variable not addressed in the rules. The condition in this question would appear to set up two possible split-block formations with M:

G2-Q8-d1.png

While the first block formation is possible, the second is not. Why? Aside from M, every other type of cargo is in a lower-numbered bay than G. Thus, when M is in a higher-numbered bay than G, there is no cargo type that can be used to fill the bay between G and M. Thus, the two variables must be in the M ___ G configuration. When that occurs, the following chain is produced:

G2-Q8-d2.png

The only uncertainty involves P and T, and thus four of the bays are determined. Therefore, answer choice (C) is correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 catherinedf
|
Hi,

I'm looking at the question about the six bays holding different types of cargo.

I got all the questions right, except for number 8, where it asks: "If there is exactly one bay between teh bay holding machinery and the bay holding grain, then for exactly how many of the six bays is the type of cargo that bay is holding completely determined?"

I can't seem to figure out why the answer isn't 6, with the solution being F, P/T, M, L, G

Any help would be much appeciated!

Thanks!

Catherine
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
You cannot determine the exact placement of P and T: either P is 2 and T is 3, or vice versa. Therefore, you can only determine the placement of 4 of the variables (F, M, L, G).
 catherinedf
|
Thanks Nikki - that's helpful. I guess I forgot about the PT / TP relationship when answering that question.

Catherine
 JulesC
|
Hello,

Would it be okay if someone were to make a post about the general outline for this question? I am very confused on the diagramming as I'm not sure if the docks are numbered consecutively on one side of the dock and then the next or if they are supposed to be numbered diagonally from one side to the other. Please let me know!

Thanks,

Jules
 Jeremy Press
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jules,

This is, in PowerScore terminology, a Basic Linear game, with a set of baseline variables (the six bays numbered 1 through 6) running from left to right in the diagram.

We would depict that like this (with numbers 1 through 6 underneath these baseline slots):

___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___

The language in the scenario that describes that baseline scenario is this: "six bays numbered 1 through 6 consecutively from one side of the dock to the other." "Consecutively" indicates the bays come one immediately after the other. They are oriented from "one side" of the loading dock "to the other," which is just a left to right orientation.

Note that when you diagram the linear relationships implied by the rules, any variable that is in a "higher numbered" bay than some other variable will appear to the right of that variable. So, for example, where rule 1 states, "The bay holding grain has a higher number than the bay holding livestock," the relationship would be depicted: L :longline: G.

The alignment of variables in this question is:

F, t/p, p/t, M , L , G

I hope this helps!

Jeremy

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.