LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=229&p=88682)

The correct answer choice is (E)

M features prominently in the rules, and for this question we can modify the diagram we used to analyze the fifth rule:

G1-Q2-d1.png

Because the question stem states that M is the only chemist selected, the final space on the panel must be another zoologist. Thus, P, Q, and R are all selected, and answer choice (E) is correct.
 vangorgc
|
Hi PowerScore -
For this one, I put C instead of E. My question with E is, why does Q have to be included? Why couldn't you have 4 scientists on the panel (CZZB) and 5 excluded from the panel, with Q excluded? The assumption that was possible was what led me to eliminate that answer.
Thanks,
Grace
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Grace,

Kelsey's post here is relevant: viewtopic.php?p=82968#p82968

In short, 5 people must be selected, via the scenario.

For question #2 specifically, if exactly one chemist is selected, as in the local condition for the question, we should consider what other categories of scientists are selected. If more than one botanist is selected, we'd get only one zoologist, via the second rule, so it's either 1 botanist (and thus 3 zoologists), or all 3 botanists (and 1 zoologist). The problem is, M is selected, so P and R are selected (last rule), so the 1 zoologist situation doesn't work. So 3 zoologists must be selected, which is all of them. That leads to answer choice (E).

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.