LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=35163)

The correct answer choice is (C)

This is a suspension question, that is, a question that suspends one of the original rules of the game. This type of question requires the original sequence to be re-diagrammed before you attack the questions. And, in this case, because an additional condition is added to the mix, that must also be accounted for in the new diagram. Suspension questions are generally very time-consuming, and you should avoid them if you have difficulty completing the games section.

Because the first rule has been removed, only the combination of the second and third rules remains:

G2-Q12-d1.png

The question stem reverses the first rule, which by itself would be diagrammed as:

G2-Q12-d2.png

Adding this new condition to the diagram of the second and third rules, we arrive at the following diagram for question #12:

G2-Q12-d3.png

Although S may appear to row at seat 1, Z is still a virtual wild card in this question, and Z could also row at seat 1. However, the latest that S can row is at seat 2.

Answer choices (A), (B), (D), and (E): Each of these answer choices could be true, but because the question asks for an answer choice that cannot be true, each of these answers is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice. As discussed above, the latest that S can row is at seat 2, and because this answer attempts to place S in seat 3, it cannot be true and is therefore correct.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 PowerSteve
|
Time is my biggest concern when doing the logic games section, which is why I am starting to get into the habit of identifying particular questions to skip over. As soon as I saw the fifth question from the first logic game of June '04 I selected B (my standard guess for the logic games, and in this case the correct one) and moved on to the next game. I think I was correct in identifying this question as particularly time consuming, but perhaps I'm wrong. Please let me know if I was correct, and even if I was correct, what would be the most efficient way of tackling that problem (in the event that I get quick enough to go back to a question like that after finishing the rest of the section).

Number 12 was another question that I decided to skip over, though I did waste some time analyzing it first by setting up a new diagram. Once I started to look at the choices, however, I realized I'd have to go through each choice as a new scenario and figured I'd just move on. After reviewing the question again, I now see that if I had focused on the fact that given the new circumstances S could only occupy seat 1 or seat 2, choice C would have been the obvious answer. So, I have two concerns regarding this:

1) For someone who would like to skip more time consuming questions, would it make sense to immediately pass over a question like this in which they tell you to switch (or simply ignore) rules?

2) If I do attempt a question like this, should I be focusing on particular things and looking for them in the answer choices? In this particular question, for example, while there are many different ways all of the other people could be arranged, there exists only one person that could possibly go before S. I'm I correct to think that I should be focusing on that type of restriction when I look to attack the answer choices?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Steve
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Steve,

Good questions. In response to the first, I would say that you've got the right idea--if you don't like such questions (and many students don't), skip it and come back if you have time. That way, you can first get to later questions that are probably less difficult than the one skipped.

Regarding your second question, it is generally a good idea to consider the bounds of the variables under different conditions, but for rule suspension questions like this one, you will generally have to rediagram the original sequence in order to respond to the question.

Hope that's helpful!
~Steve
 PowerSteve
|
Thanks for the response Steve. Can you show me how you approached Q12? Thanks!
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Because an additional condition is added to the mix, that must also be accounted for in the new diagram. Because the first rule has been removed, only the combination of the second and third rules remains:

. . . L
S > - - - - - - - - -
. . . V > O
. . . Z

The question reverses the first rule, which by itself would be diagrammed as S > M
Adding this new condition to the diagram of the second and third rules, we arrive at the following diagram for question #12:

. . . M
- - - - - - - - -
S > . L
- - - - - - - - -
. . . V > O
. . . Z

Although S may appear to row at seat 1, Z is still a virtual wild card in this question, and Z could also row at seat 1. However, the latest that S can row is at seat 2.
Answer choices A, B, D, and E: could each be true, but because the question asks for an answer choice that cannot be true, each of these answers is incorrect. Answer choice C is thus the correct answer choice. As discussed above, the latest that S can row is at seat 2, and because this answer attempts to place S in seat 3, it cannot be true and is therefore correct.

Let me know whether that clears it up--thanks!

~Steve
 PowerSteve
|
Thanks for the response Steve.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.