LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=26510)

The correct answer choice is (E)

This question imposes a local condition that you must address before moving to the answer choices. In this instance, the question stipulates that G and V form a block, and combining this condition with the second rule, we can form a FGV super-block where F, G, and V must appear in consecutive order. Applying our templates, the only place an FGV block can occur is in Template #2, where F is in group 2 and V is in group 4:

pt43_j04_g1_q2a.png
Accordingly, G must march in group 3, which forces P to march in group 1. The only remaining uncertainty is the placement of J and M:

pt43_j04_g1_q2b.png
With the information above, we can quickly determine that (E) is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (A): Under the condition in this question, G must march in group 3.

Answer choice (B): Under the condition in this question, J must march in group 5 or 6.

Answer choice (C): Under the condition in this question, M must march in group 5 or 6.

Answer choice (D): Under the condition in this question, P must march in group 1.

Answer choice (E): This is the correct answer choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 PresidentLSAT
|
Hello Powerscore,

I have a question:

Per rule 2, if there are 6 spots and exactly one group is to march behind F and that group in question (together with F) are ahead of V, doesn't that automatically stabilize F in spot 4?
Per answer E, P, F, G, V, J, M, rule 2 is violated because now there are 4 groups marching behind the firefighters.

My frustration here is that "only one group marches between F and V " and "exactly one group marches behind F but ahead of V" are two varying interpretations. When applying the latter in a 6 spot game rule, no more than two groups will march behind F. I can do LG in my sleep but I would hate to not be able to figure out a game because the rules are badly worded. IS there something I'm missing? What is going on here lol?

Many thanks
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Pres,

Rule 2 does not say that exactly one group marches behind the firefighters. It says that exactly one group marches behind the firefighters but ahead of the veterans. The interpretation where it says that exactly one group marches behind the firefighters is impossible - if exactly one group, total, marches behind the firefighters, but that same group marches ahead of the veterans, there are already two groups behind the firefighters, already contradicting your interpretation of the rule.

You have to read the rule carefully, which lays out exactly what it's saying. Look at the grammar of the rule: "Exactly one group [does X] but [does Y]." The two predicates apply to the same group - there is a group, and exactly one group, where you can say truly of it that "the group marches behind the firefighters but ahead of the veterans." There is one and only one group that has both of those things true of it. That mean we have a block: F_V.

I don't see any difference in your two varying interpretations, which say that same thing, and the same as the original rule.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.