LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation
(The complete setup for this game can be found here: lsat/viewtopic.php?t=26462)

The correct answer choice is (C)

This Global question asks for who cannot be paired with T. As with question #8, there are two ways to answer this question. The first way is to use previously created hypotheticals to eliminate each of the incorrect answer choices. The second is to use the templates to see who cannot play against T. Let’s examine both approaches:

Use Hypotheticals

This approach has the benefit of eliminating several answer choices quickly. From question #7, answer choice (A), we know that T can play against O. Hence, any answer choice that contains O can be eliminated, and answer choices (B) and (E) can be removed from consideration.

The question stem of #9 places T in the last game. From the second rule, we know L plays in the last game, and thus T can play against L. Answer choice (A), which contains L, can therefore be eliminated.

At this juncture, answer choices (C) and (D) remain in contention, and both contain N. Thus, we need not concern ourselves with N and we can focus on the other variables in each answer: P and S, respectively. There are two different paths to the correct answer from this point:

1. Analyze the possibilities without writing them down. From a logical point of view, it is likely that T can play against S since S plays twice, and S can be placed in such a way as to conform to T’s requirements (T must play in the second or fourth game). T and P, on the other hand, present a problem since they form a vertical block, and in order to make room for the horizontal SOS block, the TP vertical block would have to be placed in the fourth game. However, since L already plays in the fourth game, this cannot occur, and thus there is no way to reach a viable solution when T plays with P. Hence, answer choice (C) is correct.

2. Create a new hypothetical. Once you are down to two answer choices, you can simply power through the problem by creating a hypothetical to match one of the remaining answer choices. This hypothetical, for instance, shows that S can play against T, and that therefore answer choice (D) is incorrect:

pt45_d04_g2_q11.png

The Hypothetical approach has the advantage of eliminating several answers quickly, and then it is not too difficult to eliminate the final answer choice.

Use the Templates

This approach is somewhat more logically attractive because it relies completely on work you did during the setup. In creating the templates, Template #2 paired T and S. Thus, we can eliminate any answer choice that contains S, and answer choice (D) can be removed from consideration.

Template #1 allows T to play against L or O, the players in the second and fourth games, respectively. Since there no limitations on variable placement in that template, both L and O can play against T, and any answer choice containing L or O is incorrect. That inference eliminates answer choices (A), (B), and (E), and thus answer choice (C) is correct.

Regardless of which method you use to arrive at the correct answer, the reasoning that underlies the answer is the same: placing T with either N or P creates a placement issue with the SOS block. The only way to successfully place the SOS block and a TN or TP vertical block forces the T block into the fourth game, which cannot occur since L already is there.

Answer choice (A): T can play against L, and so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (B): T can play against O, and so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (C): This is the correct answer choice.

Answer choice (D): T can play against S, and so this answer choice is incorrect.

Answer choice (E): T can play against O, and so this answer choice is incorrect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 cboles
|
I chose A immediately because after testing it I saw that there was no way the last rule would be able to be worked in. However, after grading the section I found that the correct answer also has this problem. Am I missing the reason why C is better than A?
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi cboles,

Thanks for your question.

Question #11 asks us to identify a complete and accurate list of variables that cannot be in the same group as T. By choosing answer choice (A), you seem to indicate that L cannot be in the same group as T. However, L and T can easily be in the same group as each other (group 4, for instance). Please explain why you believe that this possibility is precluded by the fourth rule in the game.

Thanks,
 cboles
|
I had set it up like this:

___ _L_ ___ _p_
___ _T_ ___ _T_
1 2 3 4

Although now I am understanding that the question is not asking that they both occur at the same time it is just asking what CAN occur
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's right. It's critical to understand precisely what the question is asking you to do, and ideally prephrase the correct answer choice before examining the five choices.

Thanks!
 adlindsey
|
Is there a set up for this game? I've been doing some of the online exams from the course and I don't know if it's just my account, but there are only explanations for the four exams with the five sections. I missed half of the questions and I'm trying to find out what I missed in my set up or if there was a specific technique, other than the distribution.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
adlindsey wrote:Is there a set up for this game? I've been doing some of the online exams from the course and I don't know if it's just my account, but there are only explanations for the four exams with the five sections. I missed half of the questions and I'm trying to find out what I missed in my set up or if there was a specific technique, other than the distribution.
Hi adlindsey!

Thanks for your question! The four exams are the only ones with full explanations posted, but you are welcome to post your questions here! :)
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
adlindsey wrote:Is there a set up for this game? I've been doing some of the online exams from the course and I don't know if it's just my account, but there are only explanations for the four exams with the five sections. I missed half of the questions and I'm trying to find out what I missed in my set up or if there was a specific technique, other than the distribution.

Hello,

It would help to know what your own set-up is, so that we could take a look at it and maybe supplement it. Sometimes it is not very helpful just to see a PowerScore set-up without having tried to work with the "building blocks" of the game and arrange them together yourself, along with any inferences you have gotten. (After all, what if you see a set-up we provide, and it doesn't seem to make complete sense?)
What parts of your set-up did you feel were maybe not helping you to answer the questions correctly? Or could you identify any particularly problematic parts of your set-up?

David
 adlindsey
|
I have pretty much this set up, but with not laws for the T's:
___ _L_ ___ _p_
___ _T_ ___ _T_
1 2 3 4
I worked it, but I only got half of the questions right and I just want to see what a Power Score set up would be like. Maybe there's something I'm missing or there's a more efficient way to do it. I look at other sources but they're not the same and I'd like to stick with this method.
 David Boyle
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
adlindsey wrote:I have pretty much this set up, but with not laws for the T's:
___ _L_ ___ _p_
___ _T_ ___ _T_
1 2 3 4
I worked it, but I only got half of the questions right and I just want to see what a Power Score set up would be like. Maybe there's something I'm missing or there's a more efficient way to do it. I look at other sources but they're not the same and I'd like to stick with this method.

Hello adlindsey,

I'm not sure I can read what your set-up says graphically, but at least you're working on it!! --Here are some prime points, though I may not draw them graphically (since I have trouble reading yours!):

Not-laws for T under spaces (chess games) 1 and 3; L in space 4; not-block of NP; S-O-S in order (sounds like the "SOS" distress signal!)--which will be in spaces 1-2-3 or 2-3-4 (so that you can do a dual-option for O, it's either in space 2 or 3); S occurs exactly twice; N occurs only once, as does O; not-law for O under spaces 1 and 4. That all should be useful, even if it doesn't solve everything.

Hope this helps,
David

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.