LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is an Advanced Linear: Balanced game.

From the game scenario and four rules, the following is known:

PT46-Jun 2005 LGE-G2_srd1.png

From a setup standpoint, there is very little to diagram. The first rule is a cleanup rule that prohibits genres from being mixed on a side. The next two rules place J on Tape 1 and establish several Not Laws. The last rule creates a horizontal not-block (this not-block also cuts across the rows, meaning that it applies regardless of whether the variables are in the bottom row or top row, or both).

Thus, in this game, you should focus on the open aspects: the dual-option on Tape 1, the elimination of J from Tape 2, and the RF not-block.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 ellenb
|
Dear Powerscore,

I am confused as to why there are two variables of each in this game such as FF JJ RR and HH. I have read the explanations on this game, but it does not say anything about it. I guess I am confused with the first rule: could you clarify it.

I had no problem doing the questions, it is just I wanted to make sure I understand the rules and can write them correctly next time.

Also, do we have to do dual options in this game? Does it matter if we place the variable on the upper or lower side? It just seems to be only one tape and there is no side A or side B to it. It just seems to be very similar to a grouping game than if there is no side preference.

Regards,

Ellen
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Ellen,

The reason why we have 2 variables of each in this game is that each genre is found on exactly two of the eight sides (first rule). Hence, we have 2 F's, 2 J's, 2 R's, and 2 H's. It's easier to keep track of them if we just list each variable separately, as in FFJJRRHH. That way, you can cross each variable out the moment you plug in somewhere - visually it's an easier way to keep track of them.

And you're correct - there is no distinction between side A and B, and it does not matter if you place the variable on the upper or the lower stack.

Hope you're enjoying the class!

Nikki
 jmramon
|
Hi!

I'm still confused by the terminology in rule #4, which states "Folk is not on any tape numbered exactly one higher than a tape that has any rock on it". I realize Powerscore diagrams this rule as a not "RF" block, but I thought this rule actually meant a not "FR" block. Would you mind breaking down the English in this rule? Even as a native English speaker, this rule sounds like Yoda's language and I feel bewildered. I also encountered this same issue with rule #1, although that rule was easier to untangle. Thank you very much, Powerscore!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey J,

Thanks for the question! Rules that deal with ordering and numbering positions can be very tricky, and in both the LGB and our courses we address this issue since it's so confusing. Here's how it works:

• When talking about numbering: 2 is higher than 1, 3 is higher than 2, etc.

When talking about rankings: 1 is higher than 2, 2 is higher than 3, etc.
Ok, so that means in this game that the first situation applies. For example, then, if R were on Tape 2, would F be knocked out of Tape 1 or 3? In this case, 3 is numbered 1 higher than 2, so F could be 3. That means RF is impossible, and since that holds for all placements of R, we get an RF not-block.

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 sa3334
|
Hi,
I'm still a bit confused regarding the setup for Tape 1.
The first rule states "each genre is found on exactly two of the eight side." As you have explained previously, this means each tape has 2 of each genre (2 folks, hip-hop, jazz, and rock). Okay, makes sense.
The second rule goes on to say that Tape 1 has neither hip-hop nor rock, but has jazz. So this means it could also have F. Got it.

But why do you put a slack on the second row to indicate J OR F ("J/F")? Also so it's correct to assume that since there was one J, there'll be another?

Thanks for the help!!
 Malila Robinson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi sa3334,
Tape one (just like the other 3 tapes) includes 2 sides, neither side can have hip-hop or rock. So if one side definitely has jazz the other side can have either jazz or folk (j/f), since it can't have hip-hop or rock.
Hope that helps!
-Malila
 kekethegreat
|
Hi Powerscore,
I am still very confused by the language used in rule #4. What does it mean?

I read through the responses and noticed someone else asked the question in which Dave responded to but that explanation does not resonate with me at all. I do not understand if "F" cannot be before or after "R". Like what is the rule trying to say exactly? A simpler explanation will help me out much better!

Thank you.

-kekethegreat
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi keke,

This is a confusing rule!

Let's turn to the language in the rule to break it down.

Folk is not on a tape numbered exactly one higher than a tape with rock.

So we are talking about where folk cannot go. We don't just want to think about it like before/after, because the rule says "exactly one higher." It's completely possible (based just on rule 4) for folk to be on a higher numbered tape than rock, or for folk to be on a lower numbered tape than rock. We just need to figure out which way doesn't work consecutively

Exactly one higher means exactly one number bigger. So folk can't be directly after a tape with rock, because that would have folk on a tape numbered exactly one higher than the tape with rock. Note that because we are talking about tape numbers, we can have rock and folk on the same tape without a problem.

Let's say that you are picking someone up from a house you've never been to before. It's at 301 Sesame Street. And of course, you'll use GPS, but they want to give you a helpful hint to make it easier to spot. Their neighbors are a bit intense about decoration, so your friend tells you "I live at the house numbered exactly one higher than the house decorated to look like a medieval castle." Cool. So medieval castle house is at 300 Sesame Street, and your friend is at 301. Numbered exactly one higher.

Hope that helps!
 nzLSAT
|
Hello,

I am finding the rule, "Folk is not on any tape numbered exactly one higher than a tape that has any rock on it," to be a little confusing to understand. When I first read it, I thought the rule would be "F - R" when listing the rules, not that R and F can't be together. Is there a way you could possibly simplify the language for me to understand the rule better?

Thank you!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.