LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

nzLSAT
|
nzLSAT wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:09 pm Hello,

I am finding the rule, "Folk is not on any tape numbered exactly one higher than a tape that has any rock on it," to be a little confusing to understand. When I first read it, I thought the rule would be "F - R" when listing the rules, not that R and F can't be together. Is there a way you could possibly simplify the language for me to understand the rule better?

Thank you!
Looking at the previous post regarding this rule, I am still a little confused about it. I understand that folk can't come immediately on the next tape following rock (but can still come after it on a different tape), but I am still confused on why they couldn't be on the same tape?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
nz,

That's perfectly acceptable, and Rachael's post right before your first one confirms it:

Rachael Wilkenfeld wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:08 pm Note that because we are talking about tape numbers, we can have rock and folk on the same tape without a problem.
Robert Carroll
 veeo@20
|
Hey. I have read the questions and responses about rule 4 but I am still confused about it. Could you please explain it? I keep seeing it as an FR not block. I would just like the wordings simplified. Thank you.
 Paul Popa
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Veeo,

For sure! Rule 4 is a tricky one involving the folk and rock genres. It says:

"Folk is not on any tape numbered EXACTLY ONE HIGHER than a tape that has any rock on it."

We know there are four tapes total, and each tape has two sides. That means the following:

If rock is on tape 1, folk cannot go anywhere on tape 2. It is free to be on any other tape, however.
If rock is on tape 2, folk cannot go anywhere on tape 3. It is free to be on any other tape, however.
If rock is on tape 3, folk cannot go anywhere on tape 4. It is free to be on any other tape, however.
If rock is on tape 4, the rule doesn't apply because there is no tape 5.

So overall, the rule is saying that wherever there is a rock, the tape immediately after that tape can't have any folk. Hope this helps!
 veeo@20
|
Paul Popa wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:50 pm Hi Veeo,

For sure! Rule 4 is a tricky one involving the folk and rock genres. It says:

"Folk is not on any tape numbered EXACTLY ONE HIGHER than a tape that has any rock on it."

We know there are four tapes total, and each tape has two sides. That means the following:

If rock is on tape 1, folk cannot go anywhere on tape 2. It is free to be on any other tape, however.
If rock is on tape 2, folk cannot go anywhere on tape 3. It is free to be on any other tape, however.
If rock is on tape 3, folk cannot go anywhere on tape 4. It is free to be on any other tape, however.
If rock is on tape 4, the rule doesn't apply because there is no tape 5.

So overall, the rule is saying that wherever there is a rock, the tape immediately after that tape can't have any folk. Hope this helps!
Yes, thank you.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.