LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Partially Defined Grouping game.

Stores: S T V X Z 5
Music: F J O R 4

You should use the stores as the base and try to determine both what type of music, and how many types of music they carry (the distribution).

Rule 1:
  • J = 2
Rule 2:
  • T = R + O

This means that T is locked.
Rule 3:
  • #S > #T

Thus, S can either carry 3 or 4 types of music.
Rule 4:
  • X = F J O R (all 4 types)

Since X has more than any other store, that means that S must carry 3 types of music (more than T but less that S).
Rule 5:
  • S = J + 2

So you know the two stores that carry J are S and X. This means that V and Z cannot carry J.
Rule 6:
  • V :dblline: Z

Since V and Z could only carry at most 3 types (no J), and they cannot have any in common, V and Z must carry either 1 or 2 types each.
O05_Game_#3_setup_diagram 1.png
 Erin R
|
I'm having trouble deciding which variables to use as my base. For example, in Game 1 I put the types of music down as the base (instead of the stores), and I made a similar mistake in Game 2. Grouping games have been really difficult to me, and I think it's because I don't really understand how to set it up correctly in the first place. Do you have any advice on how I can more clearly figure out what should be the base?

Thanks!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Erin,

If there is an intuitive Receiver set, choose that as the base, and allocate the other variable set into it. In Game 1, since each store will have at least some kind of music, it makes sense for the stores to be the base, and for the type of music to be allocated to the stores (according to the rules). Since you're reading the scenario and rules before you start diagramming, you'll notice that the rules are telling you what is and isn't carried by the 5 record stores. So the diagram should represent how full or empty the stores are - the stores receive types of music.

Some games make this easier because something can't be allocated more than once, but even in a situation like game 1, where jazz can be allocated to multiple stores, there is an intuitive way to identity the "slots" into which the other set is put.

Let me know if you need more help with this!

Robert Carroll
 rameday
|
Hello,

I was just wondering. Isn't it entirely possible that a store could have F's or 3F's. Where does it say in the rules that a store can only have one of each type of music?

Working under the assumption that the stores only have one type of each music the game was incredibly easy. But working under the assumption that a store could have hypothetically all F's then the game was brutal.

I am just curious if their is something I missed in the rules that said they couldn't carry both multiples of the same type of music.

A
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Rameday,

According to the second sentence, "Each of the five stores carries at least one of four distinct types of music: folk, jazz, opera, and rock." I'm perplexed as to how a given store can carry two types of folk music - such a possibility is neither suggested nor implied by the scenario. Clearly, folk music is just one type of music, not two (and certainly not three). Maybe I misunderstood your question. If so, please elaborate.

Thanks.
 rameday
|
Hello,

I think what is getting me confused is the at least one of four distinct types of music. I took that to mean at a minimum one, so it could potentially carry like two copies of folk music. But I think see where I erred, i just need to be more literal with the rules.

A
 kappe
|
Why, is that , "J" can not go in, V or Z ? It appears to be a very powerful inference
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, kappa,

J cannot go in V or Z because J is only present in two of the five stores (Rule 1). And we know which stores those are: X and S.

X has J because X must have four types of music. Rule 2 says that T has two types of music (rock and opera), so Rule 3 means that S must have either three or four types of music (to have more than T). Rule 4 then means that S must have three types of music and X must have four types of music (all four, including J), so S can have more than T and X can have more than S and every other store. With me so far? ;)

S also has J, because of Rule 5. That one's much more straightforward, fortunately!

So that means that the two stores J is in are already determined to be X and S, so J cannot go into V or Z.

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 lsatjourneygirl
|
For the last rule regarding V not carrying a type of music that Z has, I have a question.

I realized ultimately that this is a not both relationship where Z can't have any music that V has and vic versa.

However, I was confused and thought for a moment that Z may be able to have a music that V has. What would the wording have to be for this to be the instance? I recognize that this has happened in another game, so I would like to know what the wording would sound like.

Thank you!
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
lsatjourneygirl,

If "V does not carry any type of music that Z carries," then clearly there can be no overlap between these two groups. You read the rule too quickly. Slow down! :)

For Z and V to have something in common, the rule would have had to say something along these lines:
V carries at least one type of music that Z carries.
Z carries at least one type of music that V carries.
V and Z have at least one type of music in common.
A type of music carried by V is among the types of music that Z carries.
A type of music that Z carries is among the types of music that V carries.
Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.