LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ask questions about our company, courses, books, and tutoring.
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rochelle,

As the author of the recent blog post you mentioned (Re-taking the LSAT in February? Here's an Awesome Plan B), I thought I'd jump in and give you my 2c.

First of all, it's great that you've identified the problems that need fixing. That's the first - and crucial - step to improving your score! Also, don't expect your improvement to be linear. As discussed elsewhere, practice test scores do go up and down over time, which is partly due to varying degrees to which certain concepts are being tested on each test. Clearly, you have having more trouble with causal (CE) and conditional (SN) reasoning questions; these paradigms appear on virtually every LR section, but in recent years causal reasoning has been especially important.

Essentially, we make causal arguments whenever we try to explain why things happen. More often than not, the conclusion of such arguments presents the cause for an observed phenomenon (the effect). The evidence presented in support of such conclusions varies, but typically amounts of observable correlations and coincidences, which the author interprets as proof that a causal relationship is at play. Such conclusions are inherently suspect, which makes them open to attack (as in Weaken questions) or support (as in Strengthen questions). It's usually quite difficult to Justify causal arguments, although we have seen instances of those too. (The latter typically requires showing that the cause is necessary for the effect to occur, such that if the effect occurs, the cause must also have occurred.). Justify questions are typically presented with conditional reasoning stimuli.

The LRB discusses causal and conditional reasoning in depth, so you should definitely read those chapters again. I would also encourage you to get the Question Type Training Volume I and Volume II, which will help you isolate and practice with the question types and reasoning paradigms you are having most trouble with. Our Deconstructed series would be especially useful in reviewing recent practice tests: they show you, among other things, how we break down recent LR problems involving causality and conditionality, which is invaluable if you don't have your own tutor.

Let me also direct you to a few Blog posts we've published over the years that might be of interest:

Correlations and Causal Reasoning on the LSAT--Part I
Correlations and Causal Reasoning on the LSAT--Part II
Correlations and Causal Reasoning on the LSAT--Part III
PowerScore LSAT Forum Post of the Day: Conditionality vs Causality - Similarities and Differences
Everyday LSAT - A Causal Reasoning Smackdown
Assumption and Must Be True Questions: Strange Bedfellows
LSAT Justify and Assumption Questions: Conceptual Similarities and Differences

Hope this gives you a good place to start. :)

Thanks,
 rochelleb180
|
Hi Nikki,

Thanks so much for your reply. You are awesome!!! I appreciate your patience with me and your realizing that there are some concepts and confusion that I still have and need to overcome in order to master this stuff, which I want to do. With that being said, I need to remind myself of the saying, "Be careful what you ask for". I asked for help and I got it. I will sign off now because I've got some reading to do. Those links are awesome and are about 20 pages worth of enjoyable and clear reading. I will let you know if I need more help. By the way, I think that David is great too! Thank you both.

Blessings,

Rochelle
 rochelleb180
|
Nikki,

Here is another question that I think will help me to identify when a CE statement is present in the arguments. Can you tell me if the following indicators are for causes or effects? Also, can you check to see if the CE indicators that I do know are correct? Thanks in advance. Rochelle

Unclear about the following Indicators:
Produced By
Is an effect of

Cause Indicators
Responsible for
Induced by
Promoted by
Caused by

Effect Indicators
Leads to
Reason for
Was a factor in
Because of
Determined by
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rochelle,

Thanks for your message, and for the kind words! I hope you found the Blog reading enjoyable :-)

Personally, I don't believe it is terribly helpful to think of these indicators as prefacing either a "cause" or an "effect." This is because the idea of causation can be introduced in a variety of ways: if you understand it conceptually, you shouldn't have trouble recognizing each element. That said, in the following formulations, you can think of A as the cause, and B as the effect:
B is produced by A (in the active voice, A produces B)
B is an effect of A
A is responsible for B
B is induced by A
B is promoted by A
B is caused by A
A leads to B
A is the reason for B
A is a factor in B
B occurs because of A
B is determined by A
Hope this clears it up!

Thanks,
 Clay Cooper
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rochelle,

Thanks for your follow up question. Nikki may want to weigh in on this, but I want to see if I can help.

Specifically, the causal reasoning indicator phrases you listed are often included in a sentence in which both the purported cause and the purported effect appear. For that reason, I think the best way for me to illustrate to you how to locate the cause and effect in each specific instance is to use them in example sentences.

For instance, "C is responsible for E" means that when you see the phrase "is resposible for," it is preceeded by the cause and followed by the effect. Here are the rest about which you asked:

E is produced by C.
E is an effect of C.
C is responsible for E
E is induced by C.
E is promoted by C.
E is caused by C.
C leads to E.
C is a reason for E.
C was a factor in E.
E is because of C.
E is determined by C.

Hopefully this list will help. Thanks again for your good question.
 rochelleb180
|
Got it. Thank you.
 rochelleb180
|
Dear Nikki,

I wanted to post because I think I discovered something about myself and wanted to know your thoughts about my experience. Since I've been taking the Practice Tests (PTs) (for 3 weeks every mon., wed., and fri.), my score has gone back down to 130s. The highest I've ever done was 154. I've taken other classes and the same thing happened previously. What I think is going on is that I need a lot of encouragement, therefore, after I email you guys, I generally score higher because you are encouraging. I discovered that in reviewing my PTs, I only review what I've gotten wrong. My scores are lower and I'm making less errors, but I don't answer as many questions. Starting today, I will review all of the questions that I got right in addition to the few that I get wrong and see what happens. I realize that I'm having a hard time retaining what I learn, so this type of review should help. Also, in logic games, I noticed that when I review grouping games (they have a lot of inferences) I instantly score higher. But two weeks later, I forget what I learned and then I am back to square one. It's the same with LR questions and RC questions. I haven't mastered this stuff and I don't know how to master it. The good part is that I enjoy the material. I would appreciate any insight you may have. Rochelle
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Rochelle,

Thanks for the kind words! Test mentality is critical for optimal performance on the test, as you clearly realize yourself. As far as reviewing your practice tests, you hit the nail on the head: it is not enough to just the questions you missed! Instead, you must review every single question you complete, especially the ones you experienced some difficulty with, in order to get maximum value from the time you spend studying.

This Blog post will be of particular help, as it outlines the optimal way to review each and every practice test you take:

The Best Way to Review LSAT Practice Tests

When it comes to positive thinking and test mentality, a lot of what we've said and written over the years can be accessed here:

The Ultimate Test Mentality Resource List

Good luck! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.