LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ask questions about our company, courses, books, and tutoring.
 Gperez
|
Hi!

Thank you so much for this forum and your dedication to helping students! I have a few questions about preparing for the January LSAT.

I took the LSAT in November of 2021 and received a 167. I began studying for the LSAT later than I wanted to unfortunately starting the last week of August beginning at a 151 diagnostic. I studied full time for about three weeks and then began school so studied for a total of about 8-10 hours a week for about 5 weeks. After studying for the month of September, I was consistently hitting 165s. I had thought I could improve to a 170 in the last 5 weeks, and scored one 170 on a PT but generally plateaued at a 165.

As I have a high enough GPA (3.97 from a top university) to be a competitive candidate at a T6 school, I was wondering what the best method of study for the January LSAT is. I believe that since this test is only 2 weeks into my quarter and I have three weeks over winter break to study, it is possible to improve, especially since I am willing to study full-time. Do you recommend utilizing the Power Score one-month study plan?

I also realize that I did not feel completely prepared in November. I felt that I had not done enough practice tests as I had naively only been doing three-section practice tests every two weeks. When taking the LSAT, I definitely felt burnt out and wish I had built up more endurance. I also feel like I cut corners which allowed me to quickly improve, but didn't help in the long run. I rarely reviewed practice tests (dumb!) and do not think I had mastered aspects of the Logic Games and Reading Comprehension sections.

Any advice on how to improve and if achieving a 170+ (ideally a 172/173) is possible or even likely would be helpful! I am willing to work very hard and tediously if necessary.

Thank you!!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Gperez!

Thanks for the post! A few thoughts here. :-D
Gperez wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:33 pmI felt that I had not done enough practice tests as I had naively only been doing three-section practice tests every two weeks... I rarely reviewed practice tests (dumb!)
Keep in mind that (as you seem to have realized) it's not necessarily the number of practice tests that you review, but how thoroughly you review them:
10 steps to taking practice tests
Reviewing Practice Tests
I had thought I could improve to a 170 in the last 5 weeks, and scored one 170 on a PT but generally plateaued at a 165.
Here are a few thoughts about increasing your score when you've plateaued:
How to increase your score when you are stuck
LSAT Score Plateau? Focus on Process
Do you recommend utilizing the Power Score one-month study plan?
The one-month self-study plan is definitely helpful, but it begins with the foundational concepts, most of which you've likely got down since you scored a 167. You can use that as a guide, but at this point, you're likely going to need more focused study. You want to be able to focus your studies on your problem areas, and then study those questions and the concepts until you feel like you could explain them to another student!

And with that said, without knowing your exact strengths and weaknesses, it's difficult to give more specific advice. If you would like some further advice, please provide us with a bit more detail first. You can use this blog post as a guideline to provide us with some more information:
https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/need-l ... help-you/. A better sense of your strengths and your weaknesses will help us provide some more personalized tips. :) If you run into a problem identifying your weaknesses and how to improve them, a tutor may be something to consider as well.

I hope this helps! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.