LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Ask questions about our company, courses, books, and tutoring.
 Taylor Montgomery
|
Hi all,

I am in a live online class and we are supposed to be taking practice tests to build endurance and gauge our progress but there appear to be 3 versions of each test: 3-Section, 3-Section+Experimental, and 4-Section. I assume we are not taking each practice test 3 times so which version should I be taking? I that dependent on what form of the actual LSAT we are taking? I am going to take the August LSAT if that information is useful in determining which test I should be taking.

Thanks in advance for your clarification!
-TaylorM
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Great question, TaylorM! Your test in August will be 3 scored sections plus an experimental, so that's what I would recommend you take most of the time. However, if you are short on time but still want to take a PT, a 3 section test without the experimental would be fine. Think of the 4 section tests as legacy tests, as they provide just the 4 scored sections of prior released tests. You can take them to get extra LR practice if you like, since the "extra" section on those will always be a 2nd LR section.
 Taylor Montgomery
|
Adam Tyson wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:47 pm Great question, TaylorM! Your test in August will be 3 scored sections plus an experimental, so that's what I would recommend you take most of the time. However, if you are short on time but still want to take a PT, a 3 section test without the experimental would be fine. Think of the 4 section tests as legacy tests, as they provide just the 4 scored sections of prior released tests. You can take them to get extra LR practice if you like, since the "extra" section on those will always be a 2nd LR section.
Thanks so much! Off to the tests I go.
 JReztap
|
Why is there a discrepancy between the tests and which one should I take as more "accurate?" For example, I completed one of the tests as a 4-section, and scored 166, which is around the score I want to aim for and is very encouraging. I then took my answers from that and put them into the 3 section + experimental just for fun (curious minds and all), and I only scored a 163, which although good, I would obviously prefer the 166. I will be writing my exam in August, and am really trying to close the last few points from where I am to where I want to be, and I'm just trying to figure out which is going to be more accurate. Thanks for any insight!
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
JReztap wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:01 pm I then took my answers from that and put them into the 3 section + experimental just for fun (curious minds and all), and I only scored a 163
Hi! Where did you input the answers into the 3-section + experimental?

Thanks!
 JReztap
|
Stephanie Oswalt wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:59 am
JReztap wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:01 pm I then took my answers from that and put them into the 3 section + experimental just for fun (curious minds and all), and I only scored a 163
Hi! Where did you input the answers into the 3-section + experimental?

Thanks!

Hi! So I took the PrepTest 69 I believe, where I did it as the 4 section test and scored the 166 on it. Then because I wasn't sure if I should be doing the 4 section or 3 section + experimental, and I was wondering how the tests differed, I put my answers from the 4 section test and just copied them into the 3 section + experimental and got a 163.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
JReztap wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:41 pm Hi! So I took the PrepTest 69 I believe, where I did it as the 4 section test and scored the 166 on it. Then because I wasn't sure if I should be doing the 4 section or 3 section + experimental, and I was wondering how the tests differed, I put my answers from the 4 section test and just copied them into the 3 section + experimental and got a 163.
Got it. :) I first wanted to make sure you were inputting the answers in the correct scoring template.
Assuming all the answers match (no mis-bubbles) then the reason for the score discrepancy is likely because you performed better on the second LR (the one that was not scored in the 3-1), so your score was adjusted for this: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/scale.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.