LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 LawSchoolDream
|
Doing great at LG. I've reread the bibles and taken many many notes but keep forgetting the concepts. I studied on and off since last year and I realize this dragged out a bit much. But I'm really only scoring 12-14 on the more recent LRs from 80-93 (I have only taken a couple to be honest). The LR in 20s pretests are also brutal.

Any detailed tips? I end up missing 8-9 on RC. On LG I get somewhere between 21-22. I'm aiming for high 170s (of course :) ) and Take the exam Feb.

Currently I score between 158-160
 Jeff Wren
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi LawSchoolDream,

First, congratulations on doing so well on LG! One section down, two to go.

Unfortunately, the Feb. LSAT is only about two weeks away, which really isn't a lot of time in terms of studying for the LSAT. This is a skills based test rather than a test of memorization (like most tests in school), so you can't really cram for the LSAT. I mention this not to sound discouraging but to hopefully prevent you from stressing out in the next two weeks by placing expectations on yourself that may not be realistic.

The fact is that many students seriously underestimate the difficulty (and time required) in achieving a very high score on the LSAT. Due to diminishing margins of returns, it becomes a lot harder to increase your score the higher up the scale that you go. For example, it is much easier to go from a 155 to a 160 than to go from a 165 to a 170.

Of course, you should still continue to study and practice in the time left, but don't overdo it and burn yourself out because that can seriously backfire.

As for a couple of general tips, you should look over your LR performance to see if there are any patterns, such as particular question types or types of reasoning, that are giving you trouble. As for RC, focus on improving your diagramming if you find that you are not able to answer the questions quickly and accurately.

Based on your question, it looks like your studying has been entirely self-studying with the Bibles. While self-studying is the most affordable option, some students find that at a certain point they need additional help from an expert to point out what they are doing wrong, etc.. If so, taking The PowerScore LSAT Course or hiring one of our LSAT tutors may be really helpful.

You also mentioned that you've studied on and off since last year. The skills based nature of this test generally requires a more focused (intense) studying regimen. Think of studying for the LSAT as similar to a part-time job, in which you dedicate 20-30 hours a week for 2-4 months (typically). For example, an hour or two a week over the course of a year won't develop and retain the skills necessary for doing your best on the LSAT. Since LSAT scores are good for 5 years, the best time to take the LSAT is when you can find enough quality time to study.
 LawSchoolDream
|
Jeff Wren wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:37 pm Hi LawSchoolDream,

First, congratulations on doing so well on LG! One section down, two to go.

Unfortunately, the Feb. LSAT is only about two weeks away, which really isn't a lot of time in terms of studying for the LSAT. This is a skills based test rather than a test of memorization (like most tests in school), so you can't really cram for the LSAT. I mention this not to sound discouraging but to hopefully prevent you from stressing out in the next two weeks by placing expectations on yourself that may not be realistic.

The fact is that many students seriously underestimate the difficulty (and time required) in achieving a very high score on the LSAT. Due to diminishing margins of returns, it becomes a lot harder to increase your score the higher up the scale that you go. For example, it is much easier to go from a 155 to a 160 than to go from a 165 to a 170.

Of course, you should still continue to study and practice in the time left, but don't overdo it and burn yourself out because that can seriously backfire.

As for a couple of general tips, you should look over your LR performance to see if there are any patterns, such as particular question types or types of reasoning, that are giving you trouble. As for RC, focus on improving your diagramming if you find that you are not able to answer the questions quickly and accurately.

Based on your question, it looks like your studying has been entirely self-studying with the Bibles. While self-studying is the most affordable option, some students find that at a certain point they need additional help from an expert to point out what they are doing wrong, etc.. If so, taking The PowerScore LSAT Course or hiring one of our LSAT tutors may be really helpful.

You also mentioned that you've studied on and off since last year. The skills based nature of this test generally requires a more focused (intense) studying regimen. Think of studying for the LSAT as similar to a part-time job, in which you dedicate 20-30 hours a week for 2-4 months (typically). For example, an hour or two a week over the course of a year won't develop and retain the skills necessary for doing your best on the LSAT. Since LSAT scores are good for 5 years, the best time to take the LSAT is when you can find enough quality time to study.

Thanks a lot for relieving my stress. I guess I have to say goodbye to some schools :( for this year
Sorry By intermittent I meant a day or two off here and there. I think I was averaging 20-30 hours a week but the bibles are so dense. I took a lot of notes and it did take forever for me to review them. I'll think about the tutoring.

I tend to struggle as we go up in questions and also I struggle to absorb what I read.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.