LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 JasminLys
|
Hi,

I've been studying RC since Mid April and have completed at least 60 RC sections in the preptests. I usually finish one or two sections per day but my performance is always volatile. I can get 1 - 3 mistakes for 2, 3 preptests in a row and then bomb 6 mistakes on a new test that completely destroys the confidence I just built through the past 2, 3 tests. Many times I feel the same confident when I get only 2, 3 mistakes vs when I get 6 mistakes. The passages do not look extremely difficult to me and the questions aren't that bad. But I just mess up 2 questions sometimes and 6 other times. I review all the explanations on the forum after each drill. Only a few questions make me feel no matter how hard I try, I won't be able to figure out by myself. But for most questions, I feel it's all about luck whether I can find the right track to get the right answer, particularly in a timed exam, or I am completely derailed.

Is such volatile RC performance acceptable, assuming that I am going to finish all 92 RC sections available? Could it be because:
1). Some passages suit me better than the others?
2). My energy level is also volatile since I am taking the test very frequently?

If it's not, what can I do to make my performance more consistent, to ensure only 2, 3 mistakes for every RC section?

Thank you.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Jasmin,

Ideally, you want to have more consistency in your scores. The more that you can make your process for RC the same regardless of topic or passage. Often when there's a lot of variability in score in RC, you are too reliant on subject and interest, and less focused on the structure of the passage.

I'm not sure how you are studying the reading comp section, or how you are reviewing your work. I highly recommend using the strategies discussed in this podcast episode. There are several tests described to help you test your reading comprehension skills, and will help you narrow down where you are struggling. Figuring out your weaknesses in the section should help you to improve your consistency in the section.

Ultimately, reading comp is a bit more of an art than a science. Figuring out your own brain is a big part of the process. What things in a passage do you tend to overlook? What should you mark down in your notes and diagramming? How do you keep track of structure? What markings in the passage are helpful for you to make? Personally, I find underlining the main point in the passage is helpful, and otherwise, I track structure and viewpoints on my scratch paper. The tests from the podcast above should help you narrow down what you need to track and how best to do that.

Hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.