LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
The June LSAT was another wild ride, from the use of two tests predicted in our latest Crystal Ball to the introduction of a brand new experimental Logic Games section! Join Dave and Jon as they break it all down, identifying source tests for the domestic and international exams, highlighting everything that was scored and experimental, and finally outlining the precise scoring scales from 155 to 170 that each test combination will produce.

Available on our blog or any major podcast outlet:
https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/podcas ... sat-recap/
 Cwieland
|
Pardon my ignorance:

I JUST found you guys as I was searching for info on the survey section in Saturday’s test. I was a first time LSAT taker on Saturday and just listened to this episode. After hearing your prediction on score conversion, I have to admit I’m a bit surprised at how well this means I could have potentially done given my practice tests. Here is what I mean…

Across nine tests in the last four months, my highest correct answers is a 61, yielding me a 152 on that test. My lowest correct is 44, yielding me a 143 on that particular test. My average correct is 53. According to your prediction for students who received the sections that would have resulted in -7 for a 170 (which are the sections I received) I could get as few as 48 correct and still expect close to a 155. In past tests, 48 correct has resulted in a 145.

So I guess what I’m really baffled by is the idea that the same number of correct answers could result in 10 point swing. If that’s the case, I’m elated at the idea that if I stuck close to my average of 53 correct, I’m looking at the possibility of approaching a 160. Is this honestly a possibility or is there something I’m missing?

Thanks for all this info and helping an LSAT newcomer understand how it all works.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Thanks for the questions! It sounds to me like this is a discrepancy between three- and four-section raw scores, where on older, four-section tests (four scored sections) the numbers you reference—like 61 correct getting you to a final 152 result—are due to the fact that the question count is out of about 100 scored questions, whereas on the current version of the LSAT where there are only three scored sections the raw results are out of only 75 questions or so.

To give you a clearer sense of what I mean, you can see the "traditional," four-section conversion numbers here: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/co ... rgeted.cfm

Compare that to a typical three-section test, which again is what the LSAT is currently, and you'll see the difference: https://lsac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/artic ... sion-Chart

So if you got 53 questions correct on the three scored sections of the June test then you can expect an outcome around 158-160. But don't use past, four-section numbers to compare, because the scaling is totally different these days!

I hope that helps!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.