LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 AnnTravis46
|
How many timed PTs (or timed sections) a week is recommended to make controlled processing become automatic processing? I'm deep into my LSAT studying and my knowledge/skills are there, but issues from controlled processing have been my downfall for both real LSATs I've taken. So, I need to become more automatic with it

Any other study plan suggestions for automatic processing? I'm taking Nov '21!
 atierney
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello,

In terms of "automatic processing," as its name implies, this is not something you can "practice." While the habituation and automatization of any cognitive process occurs (remember we are LSAT tutors, not psychologists, professionally at least) through repeated exposure, the precise conditions will vary such that there will be no "formula" or "prescription" upon which one may rely. That being the case, I would recommend no more than one or two timed tests per week (indeed, in my own opinion two is probably more than sufficient), but I do think that daily exposure is essential. And I think that the daily exposure should consist of doing a variation of those questions that challenge your thought process, but that also enable to develop confidence therefrom. In other words, for example, you want to do a variety of LR questions, easy and hard, but ones in which you are confident that you can get right, or games you are confident you can get right. This will assist the "automatic processing" by assisting a key feature, being confident that you're able to figure out the answer by reasoning based upon the stimulus itself.

I know that you may be looking for a more specific answer, but I can assure you that there isn't a singular correct way to go about this process, and that worrying about it is perhaps the biggest deterrent from its development of all.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.