LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 pradhyumanbhutani
|
Hello,
I was wondering...

1) How would you recommend keeping our personal notes e.g. typed summary organized while taking the course with information being in multiple locations i.e. workbook, online reading, etc. and the course book going from topic to topic without following the kind of order inherent in the Bibles for e.g.? Any tips would be helpful.
2) In re: to the HW problem sets in particular, how many should we aim to do at a minimum to make the most out of the course?
3) I am also wondering how essential is the online assigned reading - is it equally important to what's in the coursebook and would we miss out on vital info by not taking notes on this? Should we aim to do it before the HWs?
4) In re: to the supplemental sections on the Course website, is there a reason these ones are chosen in particular and why the is LR part is divided into 2 sections?
https://studentcenter.powerscore.com/ls ... ction-sets
5) If we have gone through the course book + assigned reading, are we still missing any content featured only in Bibles?

Thank you! :-D
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
pradhyumanbhutani wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:05 am Hello,
I was wondering...

1) How would you recommend keeping our personal notes e.g. typed summary organized while taking the course with information being in multiple locations i.e. workbook, online reading, etc. and the course book going from topic to topic without following the kind of order inherent in the Bibles for e.g.? Any tips would be helpful.
2) In re: to the HW problem sets in particular, how many should we aim to do at a minimum to make the most out of the course?
3) I am also wondering how essential is the online assigned reading - is it equally important to what's in the coursebook and would we miss out on vital info by not taking notes on this? Should we aim to do it before the HWs?
4) In re: to the supplemental sections on the Course website, is there a reason these ones are chosen in particular and why the is LR part is divided into 2 sections?
https://studentcenter.powerscore.com/ls ... ction-sets
5) If we have gone through the course book + assigned reading, are we still missing any content featured only in Bibles?

Thank you! :-D
Here you go!

1. I think it depends on the person. For me I'd likely keep a spreadsheet because I like to sort things quickly, but I know many people like to use a notebook. Also, keep in mind that the course order is NOT the same as the Bibles, and that is by my design. We change the order in the course because we can take advantage of certain features that books do not have.

2. All of them if you can. They've been chosen specifically to highlight key concepts from the lessons!

3. Same answer as #2 :-D

4. Because PrepTests prior to the Flex exam had four released sections, two of which were LR. So we present them as LSAC released them.

5. Nope!

Thanks!
 pradhyumanbhutani
|
Thank you so much! Your advice and guidance is truly helpful! :-D
1) In re: to my first question, I just wanted to seek some further guidance. I was considering two approaches and was hoping to seek your advice on what may be more helpful and/or better use of my time. Prior to the course, I was just note-taking on the Bibles cover to cover (not fully completed), but my approach lacked a lot of practice besides the drills/questions in the book, and I think what I struggled with was having a nuanced understanding of my strengths/weaknesses. These notes were helpful to refer to however and much quicker to go through than re-reading the Bible.

For now, I am focusing on the course content and am considering two options:
Option A) Transfer notes from the Powerscore course content i.e. condensed notes of coursebook content / my annotations based on the instructor's lecture AS WELL AS the online supplemental reading and try to organize it all by LSAT question type e.g. LR and subsection MBT, similar to the Bible. Keep adding to this as I go...
Option B) Simply highlight within the course book and take condensed notes only for each supplemental reading section separately.

I am trying to determine the best route knowing both that I generally benefit from organization and will probably want to refer the course content easily/quickly in future, but also that Option A would take a lot more time, and therefore not be worth it if it is taking away from my practice time.
-

Additionally, I was wondering:
2) At what week in the 2 month course would you recommend bringing in previous topics for practice (on top of what is the topic/assigned material for the week) - (that is if we want to be fully prepared within the next 2 months and therefore also reviewing past material while doing the course)?
3) To follow up on that, how many hours would you recommend putting in weekly for a 2-month study plan (OR 3-month plan), breaks, etc? While this can be variable, I would really appreciate your expert advice!
4) Again, just wondering, in re: to the supplemental sections on the Course website, is there a reason these ones are chosen in particular?
5) Finally, a less specific question - what would be your greatest general advice in re: to improving Logic Games?

Many thanks!!! :-D
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Sure, here are some additional thoughts:

1. Again, this is such a personal choice that I cannot know the best way for you. But, one thing that studies have shown is that when students rewrite notes out, they learn the material better. That suggests your first course of action is better here :-D

2. Not before week 3!

3. As many as you reasonably can, while avoiding burnout. Which means that, once again, it depends on your schedule and availability. For some people that number is an hour a day, for others it's 4 hours a day, and for some people it's 10 hours a day. And I've seen all of them work--it depends on the person :)

4. There's always a reason, but it will change depending on the section type and topic. Very little we do is random though (excepting Experimental section placement)!

5. Well, I've written thousands of words on this topic, so it's not easy to distill it all down into a sentence or two that is game changing. But, don't give up, and definitely redo each game until it makes perfect sense and you could explain it to me.

Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.