LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 desiboy96
|
Hey Powerscore, so I have noticed a reoccurring problem when I do LR and RC which is that I'm so beholden to the language in the passages that sometimes, I end up falling for trap answer choices because they use the same language that the passage uses where as the correct choice may use a synonym to the language in question to disguise the correct answer.

While this can be beneficial in spotting language shifts, it is also quite detrimental when I tackle some of the harder questions. Do you have any tips for this?
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
desi,

A wrong answer that uses similar wording to the stimulus is a Shell Game answer. I did post about this in another context, and I hope that addresses your concerns: viewtopic.php?t=8801

I'll summarize here. A change in wording is not important; a change in meaning is important. So when the wording is similar, but not identical, look at what's changed. Does it mean the same? Is it implied by what's said? Or is the meaning changed by the different wording? Focus on meaning instead of specific wording. There are thousands of different ways to express the same idea, and thousands of tiny changes that can change the idea expressed.

Robert Carroll
 desiboy96
|
Thats a great tip. Thanks Robert :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.