LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 desiboy96
|
Hello PS, so I find the question the slows me down the most in LR is most strongly supported/ inference questions (not to be confused with must be true questions). This is not to say that I am getting them wrong but rather that I find I am wasting a lot in answering them.

I know that in the LR bible you guys recommend reading the passage once and then eliminating a few choices before going back to the passage if needed to confirm the right choice. However, I feel as though with these questions, it is harder to do that because it feels like every word in the passage matters more so than other types of questions. Consequently, what happens is I look at each answer choice, look back at the passage see if its supported or not and wash, rinse and repeat until I find the right answer.

Do you guys have any advice on how I can combat this problem?

Thank you for taking the time to read this :)
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
desi,

One tool in the toolbox is prephrasing, and I appear to have discussed this in this same context before: viewtopic.php?t=33219

To be fair, prephrasing CAN be more difficult for these, sometimes, because there's nothing particularly "central" about what the stimulus is saying, nor are there any obvious inferences (or, heck, there are so many obvious inferences it's hard to know which one is best for a prephrase). That's not every stimulus, though, so don't go into these expecting prephrasing to be especially difficult! That'll just be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Beyond that, be aware of extreme answer choices. ANYTHING extreme in an answer should invite the question "Where do I get that idea from in the stimulus?" There's usually only a limited part of the stimulus that could possibly answer that, so it's not usually necessary to look at the entire stimulus to eliminate each wrong answer, but rather a part of the stimulus. This should make elimination of wrong answers more straightforward. Eliminating four answers is just as good as picking the correct answer.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.