LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 srr021
|
I'm a bit confused on how to understand what exactly the LSAT writers mean when they use the word "or" on conditional statements in logic games and logical reasoning. It seems that there are times when or can mean, one option, the other option or both. Is the only time that the writer does not mean both when they specify such? I guess what I'm asking is what language will indicate when or does and does not HAVE to mean one or the other. Thanks in advance!
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Srr,

Thanks for the question! The makers of the LSAT treat the word "or" in a strict logical sense: it always allows for the possibility of both occurring unless statements or circumstances preclude the possibility of both. So, a simple statement such as "If A occurs, then B or C occurs" automatically implies that it is possible that both B and C occur when A occurs.

What stops that possibility of both occurring? There are three separate situations you will encounter most often:

• 1. Language in the sentence that specifically precludes that outcome, such as "If A occurs, then B or C occurs but not both" or "If A occurs, then exactly one of B or C occurs." In each case, they have very directly eliminated the possibility that both B and C could occur.

2. A separate statement adds the information that both cannot occur (this appears most often in LG). For example: "If A occurs, then B or C occurs" and then another rule tells you that "B and C cannot occur together."

3. There's something inherently in the variables that disallows both of them occurring together, and you would know that they can't occur jointly via common sense public information. For example, "When Irina arrives in London, it will be night or day." Clearly, those are two states that are opposite and cannot coexist simultaneously. There are tons of possible pairings like this (rich/poor, happy/sad, small/large, increasing/decreasing, and so on) and you would naturally recognize all of them.

Hopefully that helps lock this concept down. Please let me know. Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.