LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 kaileyahouck@gmail.com
|
Hi! I am planning on taking the August 2021 test but had a few questions about the logistics, especially the implications with the Flex. It will be 3 sections + experimental, correct? And only the 3 sections are scored? And there will still be two Logical Reasoning sections?
Also, I am very confused about the Writing Sample. Is it required, and when would it occur (after the test like the SAT)?
Thanks so much!
Kailey
 Tlarmore16
|
I am not an admin but I am also taking the august flex and as far as I know, yes it is the 3 scored sections and an experimental one, however, we do not know which one is the experimental one. And from what I have seen the writing sample is required as well but can be done separately and not on test day like the SAT writing section was.
 Stephanie Oswalt
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
kaileyahouck@gmail.com wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:45 pm Hi! I am planning on taking the August 2021 test but had a few questions about the logistics, especially the implications with the Flex. It will be 3 sections + experimental, correct? And only the 3 sections are scored? And there will still be two Logical Reasoning sections?
Also, I am very confused about the Writing Sample. Is it required, and when would it occur (after the test like the SAT)?
Thanks so much!
Kailey
Hi Kailey and Tlarmore16!

Thanks for the posts!

For the August 2021 LSAT, you will take a 4-section test. Three of those sections — one LR, one LG, and one RC —will be scored. The other section, known as the "experimental section," could be LR, RC, or LG, and it won't be scored. The experimental section is used by LSAC to test out new questions they may use on future exams. You can find more detail about the experimental section here: https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/experimental.cfm. You won't know exactly which section you have is experimental while taking the test, unfortunately.

Also, the August test is not actually called a "Flex" exam. :) The "Flex" referred to the tests from May 2020 - June 2021 that were only three sections and no experimental section at all. Everything starting with August 2021 (barring any future changes) will be the 4-section test (3 scored, 1 experimental). This is now just called "The LSAT" (not to be confused with the pre-pandemic 5-section LSAT, which was 4 scored, 1 experimental...) It's been a confusing year for sure :roll: but hopefully this helps clarify! :-D

Also, yes, the writing sample is required; you will not get your LSAT score or have it released to schools until you have a complete writing sample on file. LSAC allows you to take the writing sample 8 days prior to your test administration, or anytime after that (but since you won't get your score until it's complete, we recommend doing it sooner, rather than later :)). You can find out more on LSAC's website: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/ ... at-writing.

I hope this helps! Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.