LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 JoshuaDEL
|
Hi Powerscore,

I have a question about LSAT writing samples and the use of evidence. I know that it's generally best to stick to the information given and make only common-sense assumptions. Would anecdotal evidence or other factual evidence be appropriate to use in the argument? For example, "from my experience, such decisions rarely lead to intended outcome" or "In 2008, Apple has tried to implement a similar policy which caused several serious problems down the road."

Thank you!
 Robert Carroll
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Joshua,

That kind of evidence is entirely appropriate if it relates to the prompt. You can really bring in anything outside as long as there's nothing against it. While the prompt will give you two choices, some goals, and background information, as long as your info does not conflict with that, you should be fine. So to bring up a course of action not considered by the prompt is a bad idea (because the prompt will ask you to support one of the choices it gives, not invent your own), but bringing up reasons for one of the choices that's consistent with the info already given should be fine.

Robert Carroll

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.