LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 Bruin1998
|
I completed the exam on Sunday, had RC-LR-LG

RC: Brittan and a pacifist perspective, Inuits, and insects + predators/preys
This section felt quite easy, and it makes sense that Dave and Jon predicted a +0 for this. I think this is the first time in three total flexes where Powerscore predicted my RC section to have a +0 effect on the curve, as in my two previous attempts they predicted a -1 effect for both. This makes sense as the two RC sections I had taken prior to the one I had on June felt significantly more challenging. I feel like it could be a combination of the progression I made towards RC in b/w these exams, along w/ the fact that the section was simply easier, that could be affecting my perception of difficulty regarding this particular section. I didn't feel like there was any one passage that was notable hard or easy, they all felt similar in difficulty level, minus the last passage about insects feeling the easiest, and the 3rd passage about legal theories (one being called the enrichment model ) feeling the hardest, to me personally. Someone else on a different site w/ the same RC noted that they felt like the questions sorta left us off the hook given the complexity/rigor of some of the passages, and I definitely agree w/ this. I felt like I spent excessive time analyzing the passage before moving onto the questions (as I normally spend a lot of time on the passage before moving onto the questions during practice) as the passage difficulty did not feel like it matched the overall difficulty of the questions and answer choices for some of the passages, at least imo. Still, as I had a bit of time at the end to review and had no struggles finishing on-time, I'm glad I spent this time on the passage as it allowed me to have a relatively deep understanding of the text before doing the questions; it's generally better to have too deep of an understanding than an inadequate one, provided you're able to finish on-time in the former scenario.

LR: Crazed Glass, high sodium diets, something about dinosaur fossils and gliding, and using illegally obtained information to punish criminals.
This section felt very average, quite possibly even a bit easier than most LR sections of the recent PTs. I feel most comfortably about this LR section than I have in my two previous attempts, and the fact that I had about 5 mins after doing the last question to review speaks to this, as I normally don't have so much time at the end of my LR sections during my practice (but tbh I feel most comfortably about this exam overall compared to my 2 previous attempts, not just w/ LR specifically). The first 10 did feel a bit more challenging than most of the first 10 you typically see on an LR section of recent PTs, but afterwards 11-26 felt a bit easier than most LRs sections. I only flagged 2 questions and one of them I am practically certain I am correct on as I had ample time at the end to review. But tbh I have a habit of not flagging questions I should have throughout my PTs so who knows. I just like to think that the fact that I had 5 mins at the end to review when I normally have 1 minute at best speaks to the ease I had w/ this section, and I hope I went -2 (I normally average -1/-3 on LR). Normally on PTs, in the few instances I had time left over like this at the end, I did pretty well.

LG: truckloads + presidents, secretaries, and treasurers
This section felt about average to possibly a bit easier than average, similar to how I felt about LR. There was nothing unexpected about these games to me (and I have a lot of practice doing every single LG released), they were about as standard as USA and apple pie in my view. However, I did feel like they were a bit more time consuming than the LG sections I'm used to, but that may be because I took extra time in the first 2 games to verify my answers.
I'm a bit worried since I didn't have enough time to review my answers (I got done almost right on time, w/ about 1 minute to spare), and one can always make silly mistakes on LG. But I keep telling myself that I averaged -0 on LG in the month prior to this test, and that I usually don't get LG questions wrong if I found a satisfactory answer on the first attempt. I don't really remember notably struggling w/ any question so that's a good sign. But I'm mainly worried cuz one of the rules involved the letters N and W, and w/ the way I write those letters, I can get confused b/w them. I remember I verified multiple times to make sure I didn't make this mistake, but it still worries me. Hoping this is just natural post-test anxiety and I didn't really make such mistakes. As I'm aiming for a 170+ and Powerscore predicted a -7 curve for my exam (which I believe to be a reasonable prediction based on my experience), I practically have to get -0 on LG to get my goal score.

Again overall, I feel most comfortably about this test as a whole compared to my 2 previous attempts. All I want to do is score w/in my average range of PTs I did in the month prior to this exam, which was 170+.
 Lincoln V
|
100% an "In the weeds" question:

I had the 26Q LR. It looks like that version and some of the 25Q LRs on the June test each have "no effect" on the scale. My question is, what is an equal outcome on those sections?

If they are of equal difficulty according to the scale, does 24/25 equate to 25/26? Or is having 25/26 more valuable due to a higher raw score and, in theory, a student missed slightly less questions as a percentage?
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Lincoln V wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:56 am 100% an "In the weeds" question:

I had the 26Q LR. It looks like that version and some of the 25Q LRs on the June test each have "no effect" on the scale. My question is, what is an equal outcome on those sections?

If they are of equal difficulty according to the scale, does 24/25 equate to 25/26? Or is having 25/26 more valuable due to a higher raw score and, in theory, a student missed slightly less questions as a percentage?
Great question! The way we approach scaling is by allowed misses, rather than pure raw score or number right, so if we feel two LR sections had the same impact on the curve (no effect in the case of the two you mention), then the same number incorrect in each would yield the same outcome. Thus, if one section is 25 questions and the other 26, then missing one in each (as you suggest) would be equivalent, even though the raw number correct would be different by one. The reason being that despite having a difference of one question, the overall difficulty in those sections is similar enough that the question count becomes a non-factor and the number wrong is the more reliable measure of scaled outcome.

I hope that helps!
 BrentNymeyer
|
I just took the retake for the June 2021 LSAT and am curious if anyone knows which test I got. My original test on June 12 was exactly as predicted on the crystal ball webinar (Ex. WEB Du Bois in RC, and robberies in LG), but I was unable to finish the third section due to technical difficulties, and was thus offered this retake today.

The test I took today included the following:

LR: Question regarding Lemurs being diurnal, and that's about all I can remember at this point lol!

LG: Game with morning, afternoon and evening security shifts, I think; Game where a musician performs in various functions over the first six days of May; Game with five crops in order either irrigated or fertilized.

RC: 1. Copyrights vs. Patents concerning algorithms, 2. a music company that hired from musicians and technicians trained in the local Detroit high school, 3. theories regarding species classification, and 4. a dual passage about markets and money on elections.

Admin note: edited to remove certain details about LR and LG question/game types.
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
BrentNymeyer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:22 pm I just took the retake for the June 2021 LSAT and am curious if anyone knows which test I got. My original test on June 12 was exactly as predicted on the crystal ball webinar (Ex. WEB Du Bois in RC, and robberies in LG), but I was unable to finish the third section due to technical difficulties, and was thus offered this retake today.

The test I took today included the following:

LR: Question regarding Lemurs being diurnal, and that's about all I can remember at this point lol!

LG: Game with morning, afternoon and evening security shifts, I think; Game where a musician performs in various functions over the first six days of May; Game with five crops in order either irrigated or fertilized.

RC: 1. Copyrights vs. Patents concerning algorithms, 2. a music company that hired from musicians and technicians trained in the local Detroit high school, 3. theories regarding species classification, and 4. a dual passage about markets and money on elections.

Admin note: edited to remove certain details about LR and LG question/game types.
Thanks for posting this info, and congrats on completing the June make up test!

The test you saw is a reuse of the February 2009 LSAT, which has been a fairly popular option for reuse in recent years (given in May 2020 domestically, in July 2020 overseas, and as a January 2021 make up, to name a few). It's also reportedly a fair test...not easy, but nothing overwhelmingly difficult or unusual.

So our take has always been that it's a good one to encounter, with a predicted scale likely at -8 for a 170 (I doubt it'd be anything looser than that, but I also think LG was tough enough that a -7 seems too tight).

I hope that helps, and best of luck when scores release on 6/30!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.