LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 CTabet
|
Hi, I couldn't find a similar topic when I searched for it, so hopefully I'm not repeating a questions that's already been asked (even though part of me thinks this is maybe a common question.)

I took an LSAT cold diagnostic back in early April, and got a 152. I started studying with Khan academy for a couple weeks and brought up to a 154 (although I don't know how much of that was just chance) and have started studying with the PowerScore Bibles (3x) for the past two weeks. I only started studying for the LSAT, learning about it, familiarizing myself with it, all around this time in April.

I take the June 2021 LSAT, and I know I'll likely have to retake it again (like in October), so although I'm trying to do the 4 week study plan, I'm not overly concerned if I am unable to finish it all the way. What I am concerned with, however, is the fact that I seem to consistently miss a majority of problem sets at the end of the chapters, even though I'm trying to implement the techniques and strategies that the book offers with each topic. I take notes, I read actively.

It's really discouraging, because I just feel like I'm putting in a lot of hours for little to no return. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know 4 weeks isn't probably a lot of time realistically to improve with some of this stuff since it takes time and practice to become second nature, but I feel like I would have at least started to notice some change. It almost feels like I'm falling backward.

I dunno...Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change my approach? Should I just start drilling? Looking for ways to practice the fundamentals instead of specific problem sets? I want to maximize the efficiency and productivity of the time I have left so that I'm going into the June test somewhat prepared...but I just...I feel pretty discouraged at the moment.
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Ctablet,

You only just started studying essentially so I would not worry about improvement too much. I think 4 months is a reasonable amount of time to prepare for the exam. I like two months of going through all of the lessons and then 2 months of practice tests for my tutoring students. During the 2 months of practice tests, they can go back and review lessons as needed, but for the most part it is just drilling practice tests during those two months.

Another thing I recommend: do not walk into a test if you know you are going to get a score you are unhappy with. Just postpone it instead. So maybe you could consider postponing the exam until August, giving you roughly 4 months to study. You'll still have the October LSAT to fall back on if August does not go well.

That seems like a more reasonable plan than taking it in June knowing you're just going to take it in August anyway. I'd prefer to only take the LSAT once if possible. I think every student's goal should be to take it once, but if it doesn't work out that first time, then take it a second time or a third time. I wouldn't make it your plan to know you are not going to get a score you love on your first LSAT.

I hope this helps. There are so many perspectives on this, and this is only my point of view.

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.