LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to the LSAT or LSAT preparation.
 leggo7890
|
Hi Powerscore,

I have been a long-time LSAT student and am scheduled to take the June LSAT. With how competitive next cycle will be, I would like to get the LSAT done and over with by the summer so I have ample time to work on the other parts of the application.

Right now, there is a little over a month left (6 weeks roughly) until the June LSAT. I have been PT'ing in the mid-160's, usually a 166 average.

I am trying to get to 170+ by next month but I'm just not sure how to make that final leap and get those last few points.

I have pretty much read all the techniques and am very familiar with much of the exam's concepts. Often, it could be those few really difficult LR or RC questions that really undo me. And while I review them as much as possible, I still miss them when timed.

For someone who is trying to make that final leap, how does one actually do so? How do you study smarter rather than constantly drilling?
 Ryan Twomey
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Leggo,

I would first figure out your weakest section. If it is logical reasoning, try and figure out where in that section you are struggling. I find students struggle with conditional logic, justify vs assumption, parallel, and method argument part questions the most, and then those 1-2 difficult questions per section that could come from any question type. Make sure your process in each of the question types is clear and sound. What do you need to get out of the stimulus in these question types? What are you looking for in the answer choices in these question types?

If your conditional logic in logical reasoning is not perfect, that is a good place to start. You should be able to map out those statements in your sleep so you can do them in a reasonable amount of time on the test. I find my mid 160's students often aren't quite where they need to be with their conditional logic skills for LR.

In reading comp, continue to do timed sections and review them untimed. Reviewing is the most important part of studying. Focus on language in the answer choices in all the must be true type questions in reading comp. Remember we tend to prefer weaker language many of those questions as it's easier to support in the passage (an answer choice saying some people might be able to dunk a basketball is a much better answer choice than all people can dunk basketballs.) Use the forums as well to get further explanations in reading comp passages you struggle with.

But in general, do a mix of reviewing concepts and timed sections and tests. Consult a tutor with PowerScore if any of the above areas are not where you think they need to be, and focus on keeping your stress levels low in the two weeks leading up to the test (working out, light socializing, sunlight are probably just as if not more important the last week or two as studying is). Good luck and I hope you succeed!

Best,
Ryan

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.